Mail: Incoming email font sizes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ckeck, Nov 6, 2006.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I am having a problem I cannot seem to figure out with Mail.

About 65% of my emails that come in are in the font size SO small its very hard for me to read, and I have 20/15 vision.

I have been into the Preferences section and raised the font size to 11 for every option I can see, but it doesn't affect these emails.

Any ideas? Is there an option I am missing? Thanks!

2. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure why they're so small, nor do I have a good permanent suggestion, but ⌘-= (⌘ and the '=' key) will increase the size of the font(s) in the message you're viewing (and ⌘ and the '-' key will reduce the size).

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, I have a couple of related guesses:

1) These e-mails are always in rich text or HTML, from the same senders

2) They use a font on the sending computer that you either don't have or that is corrupt on your computer.

What I would suggest is: figure out what font it is, and either get one of them to give you a copy of it off their computer or punch them in the nose and tell them to use a normal font. :p

5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thanks for the tips guys, I will look into those.

*I do know for a fact its from many different senders...although I do feel like punching someone either way :) *

6. expergo macrumors regular

I get this problem on all of my Macs. It's always the same sender as well (different people but always the same people) and it's like size 6 font. I wonder if there's a way to fix this cause my dad uses a Mac and I don't want to give him more things to do or he'd get frustarted from switching. :p

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Only time I see small fonts in Mail is when the sender used Rich Text or HTML and just (probably inadvertently) made the font really small. Sounds like it could be a font issue on your machine though. Maybe try clearing the font cache, or deleting Mail's preferences.

8. expergo macrumors regular

I found an easy fix for this on the apple forums.

Put this in the Terminal and restart mail.

defaults write com.apple.mail MinimumHTMLFontSize 13