Mail Indexing issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattroberts, Dec 4, 2004.

1. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

G'day All,

Mail is trying to get some indexing done and is choking on some large (not huge 3mb) Pdf's i've sent recently. Since I want to keep copies of these files because they show all the versions we've written I loath the idea of deleting them.

Mail keeps trying to index these files and NEVER completes the indexing (an overnight wait and see approach failed.) Then when i try to quit mail it stalls. no force quit option is presented in the dock and i'm forced to kill the process in terminal to get rid of it. Any thoughts?

cheers
    m

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

IMAP, POP, Exchange, what is the account type?

3. mattroberts thread starter macrumors regular

mattroberts

its a pop

but the files are on my hd, so i've discounted a server problem. plus its indexing my sent files folder.

4. advres Guest

advres

rules, rules, rules

I currently have over 12,000 email message in my mail account on my HD and have had no problems of what you speak. what I do is I made rules (you can find the option in your prefs) for individuals I get messages on a daily basis. What I do basically is, every message that comes to my inbox gets copied to another folder. Basically my rules say "if the sender is **** then put it in ****". That way I can keep track of everything nice and neat. After I read the message in my inbox I delete it and I set mail to delete mail in the trash daily. This way I know where all my mail is, by sender or misc and I don't have tons of mail taking up my que.

This should help with the indexing problems. Instead of mail indexing all your big files at once, it will only index them when you NEED to look for them.

Hope that helps,

/advres