Mail issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~Kat~, Jun 1, 2006.

1. ~Kat~ macrumors member

~Kat~

I use Apple Mail which has always been tempermental but now I can't even send any e-mail out. Everything I attempt to send goes straight to my Outbox. I haven't changed any settings and my internet connection is fine but there you have it.

I should add that for several weeks, when I send out mail, there is no sound for the message being sent even though my preferences are set for that function. Also, when I check my sent mail, the mail I sent doesn't appear until much later, sometimes the next day or even later. People have complained that they received no e-mail although I know I sent it.

Any help would be much appreciated. :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Check your SMTP settings in the Accounts section of Mail's Preferences. :)

3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If madjew's suggestion doesn't lead you in the right direction, maybe take a look at Mozilla's mail client, Thunderbird.

http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

Just set up the account similar to how you did with Apple's Mail app and then you should be good to go. If you have the same problems within that.. that would be interesting.

However, I'm going out on a limb. Better to fix problems, not run away :).

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If you're using a .Mac mail account keep in mind it's not working right now.

5. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Not to mention that whatever ISP your using might be blocking port 25 and making you purchase business e-mail so you can send out.

That's what Bellsouth does in SoFla.:rolleyes:

6. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

What should I check for?

I don't have a .Mac account.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, who is providing your email service? Whoever it is will probably have a website or some sort of documentation as to what the SMTP should be. Check to see yours is correct. :)

8. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

I use Sympatico. I'm trying to find out what my settings should be now, thanks.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Setting up accounts or editing their settings in Mail is straight forward. Setting up Thunderbird is different enough to be disconcerting. If you are having trouble with account settings in Mail, then Thunderbird would be the last mail app that I would recommend as a test client.