Mail Keeps Forgetting my Password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adk, Jun 19, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Mail asks me for the password of my POP mail account several times per day. Every time, I enter it and check the box that says remember this in my keychain. But every few hours, it forgets it. What's going on?
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Most likely your mail provider's server(s) have a hiccup, are busy or (temporarily) down... happens all the time on a couple of my accounts, close to never on others... nothing to worry about, when it happens, just click cancel and wait 5 minutes then check mail again.
  3. craigwall macrumors newbie

Dec 20, 2009
    think i've found the solution.....

it seems that the problem lies with the keychain application not storing the password. after having looked at a few forums discussing the same problem my solution was to delete the keychain details for your mail accounts & re-enter all of the access & password info:

go to "keychain Access" (in your utilities folder)

type "mail" in the search window. this will bring up the keychains relating to your mail accounts.

find your mail account & delete it.

go to: file/new password & create a new keychain.

type your incoming mail server details in the "keychain item name" box. make sure you prefix it with http:// as this will signify it as an internet password.

under account name type your mail user name.

add your password in the "password" field.

click add, then close.

quit keychain.

the next time you open mail, you'll be prompted to add the password in again, although this time the details will be retained. check this by restarting mail. it should automatically start downloading any mail from your server.

good luck!
  4. umpa2010 macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2010
    You know, its more likely that the account is locked via another device - say your iPhone checking the same mailbox.

It happens to me ALL the time and like the first poster said - give it 5 mins and it will clear its self. For what its worth Windows systems does the same thing...