Mail letting spam through the filters all the sudden, why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingsly, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

I have NEVER had a problem with Mail's spam filters in the four years I've been using it... it always piled up nicely in my junk box. Now all the sudden I am getting spam in my mailbox[es] and its really starting to annoy me. Whats going on?
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't think its the server, as I have always gotten a healthy allotment of spam. What's strange is Mail isn't filtering it as efficiently as before. This holds true for my gmail, sbcglobal and website accounts, all of which I check via Mail.
  4. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've recently started to receive spam on my .mac account and all of it is sent as .gif attachments, so I just set up a filter to dump all mail with a .gif attachment from someone not in my address book straight in to my junk folder.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You have to understand a few things:

Spam is not natural.
    Spam is not static.
    Spam is a cost to you--either in time, money, and/or effort required to block or delete it.
    Spam is the way that a lot of unsavory characters make a living.
    Spam authors and the vendors of the tools of their trade have a financial incentive to develop workarounds for whichever spam-blocking technology you use.
    Spam filters must be updated and/or retrained periodically to remain effective.