Mail letting spam through the filters all the sudden, why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingsly, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I have NEVER had a problem with Mail's spam filters in the four years I've been using it... it always piled up nicely in my junk box. Now all the sudden I am getting spam in my mailbox[es] and its really starting to annoy me. Whats going on?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I don't think its the server, as I have always gotten a healthy allotment of spam. What's strange is Mail isn't filtering it as efficiently as before. This holds true for my gmail, sbcglobal and website accounts, all of which I check via Mail.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've recently started to receive spam on my .mac account and all of it is sent as .gif attachments, so I just set up a filter to dump all mail with a .gif attachment from someone not in my address book straight in to my junk folder.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have to understand a few things:

Spam is not natural.
    Spam is not static.
    Spam is a cost to you--either in time, money, and/or effort required to block or delete it.
    Spam is the way that a lot of unsavory characters make a living.
    Spam authors and the vendors of the tools of their trade have a financial incentive to develop workarounds for whichever spam-blocking technology you use.
    Spam filters must be updated and/or retrained periodically to remain effective.