Mail - Mail alert Icon disappeared from Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlBDamned, Mar 24, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hi All,

My OSX Mail seems to have dispensed with the alert icon in the dock - the little red dot that shows you have x emails in your inbox. I've absolutely no idea why it's gone and cannot find anything for it in preferences. Help!

It's proving really annoying as I can't stand the audio alerts!

Cheers!
    Alex

2. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Tried quitting Mail, dragging the icon out of the Dock, and then restarting Mail and moving it back to where it was in the Dock?

4. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hi Yellow,

The actual Icon for the mail app. is still in the dock and always has been. However, I used to get a little red icon attach to it when I received a new email with the relevant number of emails unopened showing. This red dot no longer appears, leaving me with only the audio alerts. Have tried everything to find the option to turn it back on but no joy!

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, I understood that from your first post. Did you try what I suggested?

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Right, sorry!

I've tried that but it doesn't look like it's made a difference. It's so weird that its gone as I can't remember changing anything!

7. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

solved

Hi all,

Although no-one could solve this problem, it has remedied itself:

I needed to install OS9 Classic for the first time since getting the G5 DP. After installing the 'Additional Software' on the included (with G5) 3rd software CD, I then deleted all the programs I had no use for.

I'd also read on here recently that it was a good idea to boot from the install disk every so often, so with that in mind I was about to do get the disk and shut down again (having re-started after installing OS9), when lo and behold - I switched on Mail, an email arrived and up popped the little red mail alert icon.

Don't know why, don't know how, but this small but very irritating little problem is now finito.

Cheers,

Alex