Mail: mark messages "Not Junk"??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apfhex, Oct 25, 2006.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I have Mail's junk filter on automatic. When I get junk in my inbox that slips past it, I can mark it junk and it goes into the Junk mailbox. If I accidentally mark real mail as junk, I can go there and click "Not Junk" and it goes back into my inbox.

Is there ANY way to do this with mail that gets marked as junk automatically?! I'm subscribed to some topics on the Adobe forum, and even though I've added an extra rule for member@adobeforums.com (they all come from that address) the messages still go into my Junk mailbox.

I swear this used to be possible (you could mark any message in the Junk mailbox as "Not Junk"), but I'm baffled. I'd rather not have to use Training mode.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Do the messages in question show the junk icon in the flag column? Did you end up with a rule somewhere that would file messages into the Junk folder without actually marking them as junk?

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

For particular examples you could add the address to your Address Book and in Mail prefs set Junk to exempt Address Book entries? Unless I've misunderstood the problem.

4. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Sure, but call me picky or something, I don't want to add email addresses to my Address Book that aren't real contacts.

I didn't have the flag column on, so I'll have to get back to you next time I get one of these messages.

I'm pretty much using Mail 2.1's default junk settings with the filter on Automatic mode, plus two custom rules. Is there a setting somewhere where Mail would mark them as junk, allowing me to then mark them as not junk later?

Edit: Maybe I have to put it in "Perform custom actions" mode to perform the custom actions from the "Advanced..." settings, though I swear my custom Fastmail.fm rule worked before without doing that. Either way, this would only solve the problem for specific addresses that I add to that.

Attached Files:

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

When I get a message improperly sent to the Junk mailbox, I just drag it back to the Inbox, which also marks it as "Not Junk."

6. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, but I want Mail to learn from my actions. I guess what I want is a combination of Automatic and Training modes, where if I move a message from Junk back to my Inbox, Mail remembers that messages from that address aren't junk.

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Seems not, but another attempt at targeting individual items only:

Attached Files:

8. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

That should work for Adobe forum messages, thanks.

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith