Mail - Message getting "stuck" while DL'ing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vaughanz, Sep 7, 2006.

1. vaughanz macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2006
    I have 3 Macs that I sync. I have a G5 tower, an iMac G5 and a new MacBook Pro. Today while checking my MAIL on my G5, I noticed that the progress of downloading my email was "stuck" at a particular message. i.e "Fetching Message 120 of 147". After it stayed stuck on that one download, I decided to Force Quit. Upon restarting mail, all of the emails I had just downloaded RE-downloaded so now I had two copies of every email. I then decided to log into my mail via webmail and just clean out any mail I had on the server, hoping that if one had a virus or a large file, it would fix the "clog".

I left NO, Zero, 0, emails on my server... I then started up MAIL and it started downloading a bunch of the same emails as before, except now it was stuck on message 40 of 42.

Feeling pretty frustrated, I decided to just leave the office with MAIL still running and maybe it would "fix itself" LOL! I know!

I came home and I jumped on the shiny new MacBook Pro and cranked up my MAIL and it started downloading a bunch of new mail, obviously only the new stuff since I deleted everything from my server. (I have been in a big business with the same email addy for 10 years so I get a BUNCH of mail... mostly SPAM)

Part way through "fetching" my new email, the .mac Sync popped up saying that there are some changes to my accounts, and would I like to sync now, which I did.

Long story short... my mail is now stuck fetching message 107 of 107

2. vaughanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2006
    *stumped* :(

I guess another question would be... what .plist files are what? Which ones are safe to delete because it seems obvious that there IS some type of cache in Mail... since I deleted all the mail from my server, yet it continues to DL old junk, maybe I can do that??? (delete .plist files)
  3. jlk macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2006
    A similar downloading problem -- your thoughts?

Hi. I use Safari on a G4. When I go to gmail, instead of reaching my mailbox, numerous attachments start downloading automatically (all blank) and I cannot access mail. Any suggestions? -- jlk
  4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I used to use one mail provider that had this problem with POP3, certain messages would hang up, but other POP3 clients would download them without incident.

In that particular case, I could "fix" things by trashing all the messages in the webmail interface, then move them back to the inbox. That undid whatever stuck Apple mail.

Ultimately I set that account to forward messages to a different server that didn't trigger the bug.