Mail + MSN stopped working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frinky, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Frinky macrumors newbie

Hi there...

I recently moved into my University halls, and since I've connected to thier network, Mail no longer sends messages (but recieves them no problem), and MSN will no longer sign in.

All the PCs on the network have no problem using Outlook/MSN, so I'm assuming its down to me? This is happening on a G4 DP on 10.3 and an iBook on 10.2. I have turned my firewall off, why can I still not connect?

Thanks!

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Not sure about MSN, but the Mail thing is probably down to your SMTP server setting. Basically, when you're at home, your service provider gives you an STMP server to contact when sending mail (the setting is in your Mail account prefs), but often this will only work in conjunction with your service provider account. Now you've moved away, you'll possibly need to change the SMTP server to another - such as one provided by your university.

3. Frinky thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I should add then that it did send mail once (just once), the first day I plugged it in. I'm using a .mac account, so it should have all stayed the same, no?

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Hmmm. Yes. Although I occasionally have problems using the .mac server from other people's networks. Do you know what smtp server the PC guys are using?

5. Frinky thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as I can tell, they're all using thier Hotmail accounts, which is the same principle as what I'm trying to do, I guess. Except... theirs is working :)

6. Gee macrumors 65816

Kinda. In your Mail preferences, under 'Accounts', what does it say for your outgoing mail server?

7. Frinky thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Gee macrumors 65816

Yes. I think your problem probably lies with the university network firewall blocking access to the .mac smtp server. You could try a couple of things - see the article in the link below:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75124

Obviously, using hotmail or .mac mail via the web will still work, so if all else fails, you can try this. And, the uni may have an smtp server on their network you can use instead.

9. Frinky thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, and still no luck... I really am perplexed as to why all the PC users can get online with no problems... Thanks though!

10. Gee macrumors 65816

Yeh. Not sure about Outlook, but as far I remember, MSN is just a funky browser that opens up what is essentially your hotmail account. It doesn't need an smtp server because it's a web interface. That might explain why it's working for your PC friends.

Sorry I can't be more help - maybe someone else on here will have some insight. You can still access the web generally, and the web version of .mac though, right?

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  12. Frinky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I can still do that.

Thanks for trying, though, all the same.

How would I do that?