Mail - new mail visual alert (pop up?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by will0407, Jan 26, 2007.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to get a visual alert, something a like pop up that fades in and then fades out to alert you when you have received a new email?

Something that looks like the attached pic (but obviosuly with the email details on)

Attached Files:

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Growl notifications will do that for you, it includes a Mail plugin:)

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where can you activate this? I can't find it anywhere

Edit: got it

4. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Another free solution is Mail Appetizer. Although it's supposedly still in beta, it's worked flawlessly for me on both PPC and Intel. Definitely worth a look.

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Neither appetizer (what I previously used) nor growl mail work in leopard. Does anyone have some other suggestions?

Appetizer was an integral part of my moderation system for MR so I'm feeling all out of whack since I updated to leopard. Apple gave devs so much time to update their applications its really astonishing that the some developers have been so lazy about updating.

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

This may help, or alternatively you could try this .

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Thanks blodwyn. I went ahead and tried the growl fix. I can get back to banning spammers now.

I was sort of hoping someone would suggest a new application. I think Mail Appetizer is dead (the Tiger support release never left beta, so I think development is dead) and I just try to avoid software from the Adium/Growl team.

So a note to any OSX devs, resurrecting Appetizer would be a nice starter project.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

9. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I wish Apple would buy Mail.appetizer (a la Coverflow) and shove it in OSX as a mail option. Or make their own.

It's such a simple thing but I find it so useful. Hope it gets sorted out for Leopard

10. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I couldn't get this hack to work so i gave up on growl. The poor attitude of the devs makes it impossible to know if they will fix it or not - they are too busy attacking users who point out its not leopard compatible. This is why I avoid software by these people.

I searched for some alternatives and came up with nothing. Anyone know a cocoa dev who would like to take this on?

11. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

12. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'm using Proxi to trigger a Growl notification. Proxi is free and has other useful triggers and actions