Mail. New to Mac. Have simple question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mediaboy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. mediaboy macrumors member

I figured out how to get all my information from my Outlook to the Mail software. No prob.

There is one little feature that I dont know if exists. (On Outlook, you see on the bottom right corner a Send/Receive notification, and it lets you know when it is downloading something) Is there a feature in Mail that I can turn on so the program tells me that it is checking the mail and its status?

Hopefully its right under my nose.

Thanks for your help!

2. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

i believe it checks every five minutes unless you specify otherwise in preferences

3. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Normally if you press the "Get Mail" button, it will show the corkscrew (looks like a bunch of grey bars in a circle, each getting darker then lighter) while getting your mail. Once it stops, you should hear some sort of a sound.

4. mediaboy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I have it setup to do that, but I just wondered if there was any "visual representation" of this check.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's a separate window you can open, but I'm blanking on what it's called, and I don't have Mail on the computer I'm on right now. It's in one of the rightmost menus...Window, perhaps?

6. mediaboy thread starter macrumors member

Activity Viewer - Thanks alot. I guess it will take a while for me to get used to Mac and the way it works.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Under Preferences > General you can set how often to check for new mail and what sound to play when mail is received. The icon in the dock will show how many unread letters you have. Under Preferences > Rules you can set it so that specific types of mail play different sounds or make the dock icon bounce. Check VersionTracker for various 3rd party add-ons for Mail.

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

Apple had the type of progress bar that you are looking for in their previous version of Mail (Panther), but for some reason they removed it in Tiger Mail. I have a feeling it will be back in Leopard.

9. mediaboy thread starter macrumors member

I just liked the abilty to view if there was problem is when I was send/receiving. I would have preferred it to be built in, but I will take what I can get.

I was going crazy hitting "Get Mail" and not knowing if it was working. (When I was working out the bugs of my accounts)

Again, thanks for the help, and keeping my hair in my head! (Whats left!)

10. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

If's there's a problem with mail delivery, it will usually show a lightning bolt next to the inbox.