Mail not quitting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mad jew, Aug 4, 2006.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Anyone seen this before? Mail stopped responding to COMMAND-Q and the Quit option was greyed out in the File menu. I ended up Force Quitting it and it's been running well ever since, but I thought it was strange nonetheless.

Crazy. :cool:

Picture 1.png

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I had this once and traced it back to one of the Mail bundles - think it was removing the httpmail plug that worked

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Yep. Always happens to me when my email account is down for whatever reason and Mail can't connect to it. I just had to force quit.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think you meant, did you drag the .plist file to the desktop?

:p :D

6. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Of course I dragged repairpermissions.plist to the Desktop, just to be sure. :p

I don't have any plugins. It's just a regular IMAP account. Hmm... It doesn't worry me. I just thought I'd gauge whether others are having the same problem. :)

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I had the same issue! When I tried to log out, it said "logout has timed out because Mail refused to quit." A simple force-quit did it, but I hate force quitting :( . I always make fun of windows friends who have to ctrl-alt-delete constantly, so doing the equivalent on my mac makes me feel hypocritical.

8. Lau Guest

I get this sort of nonsense fairly often, and often it coincides with me trying to send an email, it getting stuck, me realising it's doing it again, and that I haven't had even spam for several hours, force quitting it and getting 30 emails when I do. :eek:

It's annoying, and I would also like to know what causes it. I'm not running any plugins. It sometimes doesn't quit properly either like ero87 says, although still works.

9. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's been fine for me recently. I have some troubles with Mail when there are quite a few emails in my Inbox so I try to keep them to a minimum (I have three in there now). Apart from having to restart Mail every now and then, it's been okay. I haven't had a disappearing Quit feature since creating this thread. :cool:

10. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

i couldnt quit mail and send messages. and the viewer wasnt coming up.
    i went thru and deleted all the sent and trashed, even tho it does auto. in a week and i deleted ones i didnt need. still didnt help.
    i took off mail badger and then it all started working. what the crap?

11. ewxlt macrumors regular

Frustrating. Newbs like me don't know anything about plists or permissions.

12. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

This problem happens to me when my mail server stalls, and the application is trying to clear out work cache. Force-quitting doesn't seem to corrupt anything. This problem was dramatically reduced with the Leopard version of Mail... and it looks like you're at least one version behind. If it continues to stall on exit, think about upgrading... or try changing mail servers if you can.

13. nthev macrumors newbie

I get this problem fairly regularly (about once a week) and I have only been using Leopard and the latest version of Mail - so I don't think it is specific to older versions of Mail or OS X.

I have some other odd symptoms when this occurs. Safari and Mail windows won't move when you try and move them clicking on the title bar. Pop up menus pop up elsewhere on the screen well away from where you are clicking. New windows appear off screen! All very bizarre.

Any helpful ideas welcome!

14. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree Leopard fixed it to quite some degree. The thread was started in 2006 though, so Leopard wasn't really an option then...

nthev you may be better off starting a new thread since you seem to have a few other issues. You may get better and quicker answers. Include details information on your system's setup in terms of software and hardware. :)