Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitrogaute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Screen+Shot+2012-07-25+at+2.45.45+PM.png

Can't check these options in iCloud setting (Pref. pane). It is trying but after say "Mail/Notes can’t be enabled at this time. Wait a moment and then try turning on Mail/Notes again." I have reinstalled system, tried again 50 times but still no luck. Any suggestion?

My iPhone and iPad has no problem syncing.

---
MacBook Pro Retina, OS X Mountain Lion

giz510

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
I have the same problem. This all worked fine in Lion.

I didn't reinstall, but I removed the iCloud account completely from the OS and started from scratch after reboot. Didn't help. Contacts and Calendar work fine. I also tried adding a new iCloud account into Mail as some people on the net suggested. While the email account works fine in Mail, it doesn't fix the mail and notes problem in the original iCloud account.

Syncing notes on my iPhone/iPad also works fine.

Most likely bug in ML. That's what we get for being early adopters. :(

nitrogaute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Well, I had the 10.8 GM release before and everything worked fine. After hours of googling I think the iCloud server is to blame for this. I will call Apple tomorrow and ask them if they have some way to reset the mail settings of my account.

dushdk

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Did you guys try to open Mail?
I did and it ask you for your e-mail and password and then all is back to normal.

nitrogaute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Yes, I have tried that with Mail.app. I suspect now that this has something to do that you must have a @me adress as an alternative adress to the primary Apple-ID. iCloud pref pan in Mountain Lion is apperantly not ready to setup mail/notes with a @icloud account yet. Can someone who got this working confirm that they have a @me adress associeted to their Apple-ID in som way? Also interested to know if someone got this working with a @icloud assosiated to their Apple-ID.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Been having this problem for nearly week, not sure what's going on behind the scenes. iTunes Match was temporarily down about 2 weeks ago for a weekend. So, it might be due to some server upgrade or something.

And, it's odd that even when I go to Mail preferences to add addition email accounts I get some type of error in regards to contacting the server. So, this Mountain Lion is giving me the blues right now..

giz510

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
Yes, I have tried that with Mail.app. I suspect now that this has something to do that you must have a @me adress as an alternative adress to the primary Apple-ID. iCloud pref pan in Mountain Lion is apperantly not ready to setup mail/notes with a @icloud account yet. Can someone who got this working confirm that they have a @me adress associeted to their Apple-ID in som way? Also interested to know if someone got this working with a @icloud assosiated to their Apple-ID.

Yes, I think it has something to do with the new @icloud.com accounts. My iPhone (iOS 6 beta 3) forced me to start a new @icloud.com address when I was making sure my notes from the phone are synced properly to the cloud. That was prior to setting it up on ML. Now things don't work on ML. It doesn't matter if I use my original Apple ID email or @icloud.com, it still can't sync mail and notes.

nitrogaute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Yes, I'm pretty sure thats the hole problem. I also tried to make a new Apple-ID account from ML pref pane. I suggest a @me-adrress!
Whats happened is that iOs6 beta 3 forced us to make a @iCloud address to get the mail/notes to work in iOS 6. And ML will not recognize @iCloud adresses. Only @me. This will probably be resolved in an update hopefully pretty soon.

I talked to Apple costumer support. They didn't know about this, but now they do.

As a workaround I set up my main Apple-ID for everything. Added a second iCloud account on all the devices logged in with @me and turned off everything but notes. It's a temporary fix.

nitrogaute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Just to clarify the workaround.
Set up iCloud (on all devices) with you're main Apple-ID.
Uncheck notes/mail
Then add a second iCloud account and log in with a @me-adress and activate only notes. (make a new one from ML pref pane or us an old one)

ML: In system prefs-> Mail, Contact & Calendars
iOS: Settings -> Mail, Contact & Calendars

If you want mail on the mac, just open Mail.app and set it up manually
Start the wizard with a @me adress to get the right server settings, Then change out username/pass to your Apple-ID of choice.

Hope this helps.

giz510

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
I never had @me.com address, only my personal email as Apple ID. I did open the @icloud.com as iOS beta forced me to, but now even in I just use my old Apple ID in ML, it doesn't work.
I'm done messing around, my contacts and calendar work and that's most important. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon, I submitted a detailed feedback report.

Oh, and what's up with Apple removing RSS and notes from Mail with no warning, and not transferring notes to the new Notes app? I knew about it so I made backups, but I bet this messed a lot of people up. This is something M$ would do, not Apple. What is going on over there?

diverbelow

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Guys

I am totally stucked and it start really bothering me. I have the OS6 Beta 3 and i would like to create a new@icloud.com email and use it as apple ID.

But all the time i got server error, cannot create apple id.

Can someone just create me an email adresse @icloud.com I will be very grateful ! my username is available so should be very simple.

Can someone help? Many thanks if possible

Emmanuel

livingood

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
This Worked for Me

First--I am a total novice. I've been using a Mac for two whole weeks as of yesterday.

The mail cannot be enabled happened to me as well. I've been annoying myself trying to fix it since yesterday. I was assuming, until I found this thread yesterday, it was operator error since I'm such a newbie. Between what I read here and what I found on other forums, here's what I tried. It seems to have worked-- at least for now.

I went directly to http://www.iCloud.com and signed in there instead of trying to get it to work through the system preferences. After I signed in there, I went back to my mail app. I then created a new account with my iCloud address and password and voila--there it was. Is this a solid work around or dumb beginner's luck, I have no clue.

dcoloane

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
Mail/Notes sync on Macbook Pro Retina

It works just fine for the last 2 months, with my @me.com and 10.8. However after I changing my Apple ID password, I could not even open the Mail applications in my Macbook. It just takes forever loading to setup.

This is the first time I have loading apps forever on OSX:eek::eek::eek:

Anybody have a fix on the Mail/Notes sync problem?

speedyralph

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Miami
Hours after installing ios 6 on my 4S my notes vanished. It kept prompting me to create new icloud email every time I would tap on turn on notes from setting > iCould > tap 'turn on' notes. I finally created a new icloud.com email and notes finally turned on, but it was completely empty.

I kept trying my existing xxxxxx@me prefix email with @icloud.com, but it said 'already taken'. No ****, by me, but it wouldn't let me input it.

I've been using the notes app since 2007 and I have stored over 50 notes containing important information. Its all gone!

speedyralph

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Miami
UPDATE:

Using my MBAir > Mail > Windows Tab > Account info > window opens up and under Account: MobileMe > Quota Limits, It shows Inbox, Trash Sent Notes, Junk Drafts.

Next to 'Notes" its shows 38 msg's, When I click on it to highlight it and click on 'Show Messages" a mail window opens showing only Inbox, Sent, and Trash, but no NOTES!

At least Im seeing that I had 38 msg's, but I don't know where to locate them.

Please help.

forum-man

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Problem solved??

I had the same problem after I:

-formatted my mountain lion hard drive
-reinstalled mountain
-Migrated from Time Machine Back-up (using migration assistant during installation)

I deativated my iCloud back up, and then reactivated it

Then I got the screen in the attached image.

So I'm going to try updateing Mountain Lion (as it was before my format) as see if iCloud works then.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 12.49.38.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 12.49.38.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 437

forum-man

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Problem SOLVED!

My solution above worked like a treat, I just needed a simple update to get my OS back to the state it was in when my timemachine backup was done (10.8.2). Boom App has stated working again now since having problems post format/restore.

Hope this helps someone out there!

ruqui

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
I have exactly the same problem, but couldn't fix it.

Looking into /var/log/system.log, I see the following the error appears:

com.apple.NotesMigratorService[512]: Could not find or create an iCloud accout

Anyone knows how to reset this notesmigratorservice?

KLinPA

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
PA
I was having the same issue. But whenever I have this or a similar issue I bing/google Apple System Status. When I did this yesterday, it said iCloud had an issue with mail and notes. When I tried last night it worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.