Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EoDTris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Hi there,

I did a clean install of Mountain lion just last week on my iMac 27" (mid 2011). Since then, Ive recently noticed a rather odd issue regarding Mail in Mountain Lion.

When returning from sleep Mail seems to still be half asleep. When clicking the button to get new e-mails it seemingly does nothing and also wont make any familiar noise's or display notifications. It doesn't crash though, it just seems to be still asleep. What is required is for me to reboot the app where upon it will ping back into life and notifications and all normal alerts return.

Does anybody else have a similar problem or any ideas what it could be? Also while were on the subject of alerts and noise's etc, is there a way for me to change the notification centers alert sounds from the drab sounding basso effect to something else. I would of thought after changing the default system alert sound this would do the trick but notification centre totally ignores it and insists on staying the same.

Thanks and I hope someone here is able to shed a little light on this issue.
EoD

Joedesi

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
Hi there,

I did a clean install of Mountain lion just last week on my iMac 27" (mid 2011). Since then, Ive recently noticed a rather odd issue regarding Mail in Mountain Lion.

When returning from sleep Mail seems to still be half asleep. When clicking the button to get new e-mails it seemingly does nothing and also wont make any familiar noise's or display notifications. It doesn't crash though, it just seems to be still asleep. What is required is for me to reboot the app where upon it will ping back into life and notifications and all normal alerts return.

Does anybody else have a similar problem or any ideas what it could be? Also while were on the subject of alerts and noise's etc, is there a way for me to change the notification centers alert sounds from the drab sounding basso effect to something else. I would of thought after changing the default system alert sound this would do the trick but notification centre totally ignores it and insists on staying the same.

EoD

I have the same issue since upgrading to ML on 2012 MBA. Can anyone help??

Proletaren

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Northern Europe
Hi there,

EoD

Me too! Just registered to ask for the very same thing when I found this thread. Anybody know how to resolve this issue?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Here's maybe a partial answer: Re: alert sound. At least for the calendar alerts, you can select the alert sound when you create an entry. Under the "alerts" section, there are multiple pull down menus where you can say when to alert, how you want to be alerted and what sound to use.

Re: Mail - Yeah. There's absolutely NO indication that Mail is checking, at least not the little spinning icon. You can click the box with an arrow in it at the lower left corner to see what's going on, but if there's no incoming mail - there's no indication of activity. On my Mail, it will make a very soft (almost imperceptible) "grunt" sound when it's apparently done checking.

I sure wish they would add back the spinning icon.

Joedesi

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
I also noticed that the Spinning "activity" Animation beside the individual mail account as it is checking for mail, is no longer there.

Anyone notice this?

Yep noticed that too. Can't tell if mail if "working" or not

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
For me, Mail in general has sucked since "upgrading" to Mountain Lion. Emails are sometimes pushed and sometimes not. They rarely show up in Notification Center. When I click the refresh button in Mail it's like nothing is happening. Very disappointing so far.

Joedesi

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
Hopefully they'll bring out a fix on a future update. In regards to the OPs question though is everyone having these issues or just some of us??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.