Mail notification to another computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tobefirst, Aug 8, 2006.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm wondering if there's a way to do this: I have Mail set up on my Power Mac G5, which is sitting up in my bedroom, connected to my network wirelessly. But I also have a new MacBook, also connected to the network wirelessly, which I use downstairs for various reasons. I would like the ability to keep my Mail on the Power Mac, and yet get notices when there is new mail on my MacBook.

Is there some kind of notification (Growl or otherwise) that will send a notice to another computer on the network?

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Mail has Rules that allow you to do what you want. You could even forward the e-mails to another e-mail address set up on your macbook, so you don't even have to walk up the stairs.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Why don't you just use IMAP and keep your mail synced on whatever computer you are on?

4. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I suppose that's one way of doing it...one that I hadn't thought of. :)

I'd still like to hear if there was something more what I'm looking for...but if there's not, I may end up setting up a forwarding/redundant address like that.

Thanks for the reply.

5. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I don't think I can get GoDaddy to do IMAP...although that would be the ultimate solution.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There's no great solution - I was hoping for one with Leopard - but one which should work with any ISP is to have the PM handle mail normally, deleting it off of the server after some non-zero amount of time, and then using the MB's Mail to be able to see all of your recent mail. In fact, if you check mail with the MB more often that you have the PM delete it from the server, they'll stay in sync.

The one downside is that sent emails won't be synced.

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yes there is a great solution: it's called IMAP. And yes it does sync sent mail too, and yes it works with .Mac etc. etc. POP3 is not designed for use with multiple email clients, so if you can don't use accounts that limit you to it if you need that functionality.

I've advised you on this twice now jsw, when you've given incorrect advice on the subject to others, but you're either blocking me or don't take any notice :confused: I'm not being funny with you, just confused.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Read above. GoDaddy doesn't, in tobefirst's opinion, support IMAP. I was providing an alternate approach. I'm aware of how IMAP works, and I actually suspect GoDaddy supports it. But, if they don't, there aren't any truly good other options.

Edit: I should have said, above, that there's no great solution if the ISP doesn't support IMAP. I was too vague. And I'm not blocking you. I can't block anyone. :)

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I agree - it's a nightmare with POP3 and multiple email clients.

I have read above, cheers - note I state that if you need such functionality don't choose a mail provider that doesn't support IMAP. Obviously a problem if you're already stuck with an email address you want to keep.

A clunky alternative is to only use web mail (if available) on the MacBook and have the PM not delete any mail off the server.

In past discussions on this subject jsw I've noticed you've stated that there's no way to sync sent mail, using IMAP e.g. with .Mac mail. Forgive me but I thought you were continuing under this misapprehension.

10. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I googled it and found a ton of people who said they didn't. However, it's not as easy to find on Godaddy's site...so I'm still looking.

EDIT: However, I'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to be wrong on this one. :)

11. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Just got a reply from Godaddy. They do NOT support IMAP, so I'm left with any of the POP3 solutions in this thread and those others can think of.

For me, ideally, it'd still just be a growl notification, stating sender's name or email addy and subject line.