Mail - One Hotmail Works, Other Doesn't - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HelixOmnimedia, Aug 23, 2006.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem, or if there's a way around my problem.

In my Mail application (v2.1), I have multiple accounts.
    1. Home e-mail
    2. .mac account
    3. Hotmail 1 - (university work)
    4. Hotmail 2 - (media production)

They all worked until this morning, and now the fourth account doesn't.
    Accounts 3 & 4 are set-up to access my MSN Hotmail e-mails through Mail, but today only the 3rd one works. They are both setup the same way with the following settings:

Incoming Mail Server: pop3hot.com
    Username: name@hotmail.com
    Password: *******
    Outgoing: smtp.btinternet.com (sent through home connection)

But as i've said, the fourth one stopped today, I thought something had changed, so i deleted the account and tried to set it up again like i had before but got the following message.

Trying to log into the POP server “pop3hot.com” has failed. Please make sure the username and password are correct. If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email.

The password and username are correct (i thought that was the problem). I can get further than this, and send e-mails but not receive them through this account. When i select receive message for account, the following pops up:

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account "MSN" or try again.

The server error encountered was: POP user name "helix.omnimedia@hotmail.com" unrecognized.

I read a few other posts on here and read about the "httpmail" add on, but i've got a too new account, and i don't want to pay for hotmail plus... especially when one works.

I've tried all day to see if i can resolve the problem, but since i have no idea what i was doing, i thought i'd come here for an expert to help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, no expert here, but I know Microsoft is trying hard to limit the use of their Hotmail accounts on other email clients. The same thing happened to my sister's account a while back and we never managed to get it working. Sorry for being completely unhelpful. :eek:

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

I guess that's why people are switching to Gmail.