Mail or Entourage?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tribe3, Mar 12, 2006.

1. tribe3 macrumors 6502

I used to dislike Apple's Mail so I've been using Entourage for a long time. What are you guys (that have both) using?

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Well considering I have a Gmail account now I use Mail. I used to use Entourage when I had a homtail account. They are used for two totally different accounts. I prefer Mail though.

3. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

I've used both but prefer Mail's Junk mail filter. It seems to do a better job.

4. tribe3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Basic question: How do you configure gmail in "Mail? Is it POP or IMAP or Exchange?
    Also, is the "Incoming Mail server" related to gmail or to my IP?

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I use Mail and have so ever since it came out. Never a problem really!
    Junk mail filter is pretty good as well- only one time has it put something in the junk filter when I didn't want it to- but I always review it before trashing the junk mail

6. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I've used both, back and forth, but in the end I had to go for mail for it's intergration; Mail, Address Book, iChat, iPod, and my bluetooth phone are all close friends and drinking buddies.

EDIT: Although one time they all hung out and got so drunk that Address Book and Phone tried to show off and duplicated almost all my contacts at random, but without any details in the dupes. Took an hour to go through and delete all the empty ones (it wasn't just every second one, it was random whether the first or second in the list was the empty one).

7. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Here are the instructions.

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

10. tribe3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I got it to work;)

I'm leaning towards using 'Mail' at the moment because it's native on Intel Core Duo and it snaps open very fast, while 'Entourage' bounces back and forth for a little while before opening. I'll see what I decide once Entourage goes native.

11. turbopants macrumors regular

I use Mail on my Mac for personal correspondence and gmail for web signups, or anything where I think I might get some spam.

12. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

i use mail because it looks better and it was made by apple :)

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Search this forum for Entourage. You will find that a lot of users have a lot of problems with this M$ POS. Who ever heard tell of a corrupt database before Entourage? Use Mail and get a good night's sleep.

14. lanray macrumors regular

another vote for Mail

My wife and I used Entourage for a long while. She liked it for the features that allows you to schedule things, and I was kind of tied into using it because Mail doesn't support Hotmail. Then, Hotmail just seemed to get buggier each day, slow, slow, and so we both changed over to gmail. I just decided to try Mail (because now I could), and I really do like it better. It's tidier, a little more intuitive, and not nearly as buggy. Entourage used to quit on us nearly daily; we just don't have that problem with Mail. Anyways, go for Mail. You won't be sorry.

15. tribe3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just FYI you ca use HTTPMAIL plugin and use hotmail in "Mail" (It's not working on Intel Core Duos yet)
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18189

16. ptasker macrumors newbie

Default Mail

I have Mail and Entourage and am interested to read the thoughts here in making up my mind which to settle with. When I decide, how do you set which is the default e-mail programme ? ie, if you click a mailto: link which one opens and handles your request ?
    Any help greatly appreciated !

17. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I use Mail. Never liked how crowded the screen seemed with Entourage, it just felt bloated to me like Eudora. It also feels slower to me than Mail.

To change the default email program you have to go into Apple Mail's preferences. Under general is a pull down to choose the default email program.