Mail - pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, May 17, 2005.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I like Mail, but one thing that bugs me, if I send a picture it sends it ' within ' Mail - ie - it opens the picture in the browser window. The problem with this is it is not very private, but more importantly, some PC using chums have a hard time- they can't see the image or download it.

I'd like to have the choice, so if I want I can send it as a 'file' -- ant thoughts

cheers all,

2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Although I can't directly answer your question, there's an option to send a Windows friendly attachment in Mail. In Panther it was in the preferences and you could tick the box to make sure all attachments were sent "Windows friendly". I can't find the same preference in Tiger but there's still a box you can tick before sending an email with an attachment that will make it more likely that our Windows users can see it all correctly.

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Yeah, I thought about that - or put it in a folder, but its annoying - you shoulndn't HAVE to do these things!!

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think Mail showing pics directly (and not as a attachment) has nothing to do with Windows users not being able to open them. Mail sends them as attachments (though perhaps not Windows friendly, see above), but when you receive on, it automatically detects if there's a pic and then shows it. I'd also like to have a preference where you can select, if you rather want to see it as an attachment and not being forced to choose it for every pic by right-clicking it, but I never had problems with sending pics to my Windows using friends, so this doesn't seem to be the problem.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There's also the problem that the "security" settings in Outlook may treat jpeg files as non trusted and refuses to include/download them... I had this problem a lot when I was sharing family photos with my brother and mother. If you get them to switch to Thunderbird or tinker with the above mentioned settings they should be able to receive images just fine on a PC (or you could, like Rocksaurus, zip the images before sending them).