Mail problem after installing tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steller, Apr 29, 2005.

1. steller macrumors member

Guys,
    I got my tiger yesterday but then i have encountered a big problem. My mail program can't open properly. I can't read any mail, quit it or do anything with it. Basically, the program is dead. Is there anything i can do? Thanks

2. DeadEye686 macrumors member

Did you upgrade, archive and install, or clean install? Do you have any plugins for Mail installed (plugins installed in Panther count if you upgraded)? I've heard that trashing the .plist file usually fixes the Mail2 issues, but I'm not entirely sure whether this affects mailboxes.

3. luminol macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, i upgraded and now it doesn't work.

4. steller thread starter macrumors member

I believe i have a plugin installed which is for me to be able to read MSN email from my mail program. I assume this might be the cause of my problem, how can i fix it then?

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    IF you have MAIL from PANTHER in another folder (Like Applications/Internet for example) then the icon you're still launching in the dock is still mail from PAnther and it won't work.

Try looking at Your Applications folder and you should see the new version of mail, double click, and it should open without a hitch. If problem persists, let us know.

6. steller thread starter macrumors member

thanks for ur input, however it still doesn't work.

7. narco macrumors 65816

narco

Yep, same problem here. Looked like it imported all of my mailBOXES, but none of the mail inside. It also says I have 191 junk mails, but when I click to look at them it shows the mailbox is empty.

Importing everything again to see if there is a problem again, but there better not be because I use Mail.app for WORK.

Other than that, my initial Tiger experience isn't very pleasant. Dashboard is cool and all, but nothing spectacular. Spotlight took 4 hours to index everything on a 2ghz G5 with 2gb ram. Hmmm... some people got faster time with lower specs?

Maybe it'll grow on me.

Fishes,
    narco.

8. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

I think it has something to do with how many files you have and how many of those have to be scanned for content (like copy in a pdf) for indexing.

I have a 1.8Ghz single with 1Gig of RAM and about 100 Gigs on my HD. Spotlight took about 1.5 hours to index.

9. narco macrumors 65816

narco

Yeah, I can get over the time it took, but not the Mail issue. This sincerely BLOWS. I can't even express how much this sucks.

Fishes,
    narco.

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I don't have Tiger (yet) but what is this indexing thing that Spotlight has to do? You have to do this before it can function?

11. narco macrumors 65816

narco

Yeah, you have to index all the files on your computer before Spotlight works.

Fishes,
    narco.

12. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I believe I found the fix!

If your mail.app isnt working properly, then you must get rid of all previous bundles in /username/Library/Mail/Bundles. I had an old httpmail bundle in there from a while back that I never even used... so I deleted that. Once I did that, the application worked great. You will know when its working properly if you see the "Welcome to Tiger Mail" message and all that, then it will import all your mail, and work perfectly (at least for me)

13. narco macrumors 65816

narco

I don't see anything called Bundles. I did notice that I now have 15gigs of email, probably due to me importing my mail 3 or 4 times. I noticed after every import that my startup disk was nearly full. Hmmm.

Bad thing is, now I don't know which one is my right email. This totally blows.

Fishes,
    narco.

14. jamin macrumors newbie

Ok,
    I figured out how to fix Tiger's Mail issue.
    I had same issue as the rest. After installing Tiger (Archive and Install)
    Mail.app would not load correctly.
    I had 2 plugin bundles installed. Httpmail and gpgmail. Removing the Httpmail bundle from ~/Library/Mail/Bundles

Then relaunching Mail imported all my old e-mail etc. Working perfect.

15. steller thread starter macrumors member

This is the way to fix it. I have no problem using mail now. Thanks a lot guy.

16. jamin macrumors newbie

Safari is driving me nuts. I did not see JeDiBoYTJ post.
    Safari does not work right with MacRumors forums.

Anyone have a fix for that. I noticed it in Safari 1.3 and still happens in 2.0.

17. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

My mail is f'ed up too. I use the Mail app with .Mac. It opened once fine, now when I try to open it, it just locks up before loading any messages and I have to force quit it.

I did a clean install, and I couldn't find any bundles, as mentioned above. Little help? :(

18. Ling macrumors member

Yay! My problems are fixed! It was the fault of the httpmail bundle. Now I waiting for an update. sigh.

Good luck to everyone else.

19. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Well, I fixed my Mail issue by deleting most of the things in my ~/user/Library/Mail folder. I was ok doing this because everything is synced with my .Mac account so I knew I would lose all of my mail.

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Interestingly, using 10.3.9 I am not connecting with my .mac mail now. So tiger folks this may not be tiger, then again it could be me.

edit: working now. clicked on the ~ symbol and it is back up.