Mail problem: not getting mail off pop3 server

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by railthinner, Dec 18, 2002.

1. railthinner macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    Mail does not retreive all of my new messages. I have to access through my browser to check I have everything. Some messages it just won't get. What's going on? any ideas?

I hate to say this:
    Gulp. I've never had a problem with Outlook express.

help please
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Any specifics? Is there any trend in messages that aren't coming through (attachments, etc)? It could be a problem with your pop3 server not storing messages in the correct format, and Mail is have problems recognizing them while the internet interface isn't... This would be so much easier to troubleshoot if it was *all* of the messages being ignored.

In the status bar, when it says "retrieving message 1 of x: ______" does it give proper count, and then ignore them? does it produce any error? or does it just function entirely as if those messages aren't there?

Very odd...
  3. railthinner thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    there's no similarity that I've caught yet but this just started two days ago. I'll watch the staus carefully next time. It seems to just completely ignore messages though, as if they weren't there. No attachments.

I know nothing about administering a mail server so this may sound stupid but.......
    Right now my site is hosted on an NT server. Do you think it would make a difference if I moved to a Unix server? I assumed email is totally seperate. Am I wrong? Isn't pop3 the same anywhere?
  4. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Are you using some kind of SPAM filter with Maybe is catching some SPAM that the internet interface is letting through.
  5. railthinner thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah I'm using Mail's spam filter but that doesn't actually effect anything ON the server. Mail should still grab everything then dump it to the Junk folder. Also some of the mail is definately not Spam.

Anyway I'm going to upgrade to 10.2.3 when I get home. Maybe this is something that's been fixed.