mail problems Version 2.0.5!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyfish29, Feb 10, 2006.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I have Version 2.0.5 (746/746.2) running on tiger on my iBook (came preinstalled with Tiger and I am completely up to date on my software update. I am having a big problem with Mail and having to force quit it. Probably happens at least two times a day and it just freezes up- spinning beach ball. I am using a .Mac account and have no problems with the exact same set up on my iMac at home but I am not using Tiger there- I have 10.3 on that machine.

Is anyone else having this same problem and what are you thoughts on how I might remedy this situation?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried removing the preference file? It's called com.apple.mail.plist and it'd look simply gorgeous on your Desktop. :)

3. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

No I haven't. I will. Will all my account information stay stay the same or will I need to reenter all my .Mac account info?

thanks,

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

flyfish29, not all problems are local. How do you know that you are not having network issues or even issues with your ISP's mail server?

5. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I don't for sure know of course, but I never have problems with my iMac like this- but when I use my ibook it constantly has issues. I am using wireless with the iBook and not the iMac, but even when I was using a wired connection I would have issues. I will try the prefs first and see if that helps.

6. rgsorter macrumors newbie

Same mail problems on powerbook

I am also having the same mail problems using my new PowerBook G4. All other email programs work perfectly fine (so this leads me to believe that it is NOT an outside problem, such as with my ISP). The mail programs locks up three to four times per day - and I have to force quit. I'm using mail Version 2.0.5 (746/746.2) and the newest Mac OS. If anyone can provide a fix for this...it would be greatly appreciate!

I am a new MAC owner - switching over because I was tired of all the problems with PC's. Looks like MAC has it's own set of issues.

7. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Macs do have their own sets of issues like all tech, but not as serious or annoying...usually. I don't have a problem locking up that much, but when I try to quit when it acting weird I try through the menu and it just closes the window but leaves the menu reading Mail headings...that is when I have to force quite. I tried deleting the preferences and no luck- still has issues. Will let you know if I figure it out.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

rgsorter, are you also using .Mac? :)

Just to prevent future confusion, you are using an Apple Mac to access email. However, a MAC (capitalised) is a networking acronym. :)

9. rgsorter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clarification

Hey thanks for the clarification on the difference between MAC and an apple mac. Like I said, I'm completely new to having an Apple Mac...and certainly am not technically advanced (but do know more than the average Joe).

And YES...I am using .Mac as well - I have no problems with the web-based email program at all. I even tried using other mail programs - and no problems at all with them. It only appears to be the Mail program that came with my new PowerBook G4 that I bough a couple of months ago.

Please do keep me posted if anyone finds a solution to this - as I really like the program a lot - but am getting very annonyed with it locking up all the time.

Thanks a lot!

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe uncheck Mail Accounts in the Sync settings of your .Mac preferences. It's an IMAP account so it should be doing this anyway and I know .Mac gets confused when it's trying to do too many things at once. It could be worth a try. :)

11. rgsorter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I will try this and see what happens. I appreciate it!