Mail problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twomiracles, Feb 28, 2007.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

I swear I give up! I have the same settings on this machine that I have on a laptop and the laptop works fine, but I am repeatedly getting errors that the password for one account is wrong and it can't send using my outgoing mail server. Also, if I've been away for very long, it will tell me that accounts have connection failures and ask if I want to go back online. Please help...I finally traded in the Mac Mini on an iMac and the relationship with the iMac is starting off the same way the one with the mini did.

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Clear out everything (settings) and re enter 'em?? Might work out for you.

3. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that already :) . Also tried restarting the machine.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I know you said you already double-checked the settings... but just in case, I've noticed mail.app getting wonky w/ me, too.

I looked it up on mail's help (as well as whichever account was having problems, gmail and dotmac) and found different "Server ports" to try out.

Mail> Preferences> Accounts> Account Information> down at the bottom click "Sever Settings..."> then check for the Server Port setting.

5. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

I have no idea what happened, but the port was set to 21 instead of 25. Guess this thing has a mind of it's own, I dunno. Anyway, I changed it back to 25 and it sent my mail.

Thanks!

6. Accentor macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and am having problems with my new iMac 20" regarding email. I had it up and running within 20 minutes of plugging in, including internet access and email. My ISP settings were copied exactly as from my PC (Sony Vaio laptop) and worked O.K. to begin with. Can still receive email O.K. but started to get error messages saying outgoing email could not be sent and would be kept in my OUTBOX. I discovered by accident that if I forwarded a mail from my inbox then all the waiting mail in my OUTBOX would also be sent. Now that has also ceased to happen.

I have checked and double checked all setting on my POP3 account, incoming and outgoing server settings, together with account name and password. Have also tried clearing all settings and re-entering them and checked that port 25 is set as outgoing port.

Why won't the mail send?

Colin

7. gollum macrumors regular

Try port 587!

8. Accentor macrumors newbie

I have tried everything, and still no success. Twice I have done a complete "erase and install" from the installation discs, but no way will "Mail" send my emails.

My ISP is not being very helpful and Apple (Pt) are totally useless. I feel as though I am in a wilderness and without help; at least if you have a PC someone can put it right - with a Mac you are on your own. I now own a large £1,000 desk ornament. Never again.

Colin