Mail problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bedawyn, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    *bangs head against wall*

I have been a Mac bigot for years and years and years, but ever since they went to OS X it's gotten harder and harder to stay one. Can someone please help me here before I throw this machine through the window?

This time it's Apple's Mail.

1) Is there any way to turn off the indexing feature? I really don't need it to index my 800 spam messages, especially since it does it while I'm trying to scan for false positives and whenever it finishes it throws me back to the top of the list. And then does it again two minutes later. I don't even use the search feature in my real-mail folders.

2) My accounts are set to automatically delete trash mail that's over a day old -- but it has never deleted the trash, ever. I always have to do it manually. ???

3) It's fortunate that I don't send a lot of mail, because about a third of the time that I do, the message seems to go through fine. Vanishes from the box and all. Then, the next time I boot up (I don't have air conditioning and our power grid sucks, so no, I'm not going to leave it on all the time), I get an alert saying the message didn't go through because the server couldn't deliver it. At least one person has told me that they got duplicates when I let it retry the send, so apparently it is working the first time.

4) Is there any way at all to make it show the e-mail addresses, not just the identities, in the column headers? It's not one of the options, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm definitely going back to Entourage in a few months, but I'd like to maintain my sanity until then.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    1. As far as I know, you can't :(
    2. That setting is misleading. All it does is empties the Trash on an IMAP server on a regular basis (like a .Mac account), not your local Trash file. The setting does nothing for POP accounts because messages don't stay on the server after they're retrieved.
    3. That is strange - maybe Mail is confusing your ISP's mail relay server??? I suspect the root cause of this is at your ISP's end, not yours.
    4. Maybe the setting is in Address Book? After all, that's where it gets the names from. I honestly don't know the answer to this.