Mail Program!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falleron, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Here is a questions! I have a hotmail account + want to set it up so that I can store all my e-mails locally like I used to in Outlook Express. How can I do this with Mail (OSX default E-mail program)???

Thanks

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

you can't. hotmail is only accessible through outlook, outlook express, or entourage. you canconfigure these (entourage, at least) to retrieve your mac.com mail as well, so if you're hell-bent on keeping hotmail, this is the way to go.

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Try this...

I have no idea if this will work, but try putting this information in Mail (from the help section of hotmail):

In Outlook Express, click Accounts on the Tools menu.
    In the Internet Accounts dialog box, click Add, and then click Mail.
    On the first page of the Internet Connection Wizard, type your full name, and then click Next.
    On the Internet E-mail Address page, type your full Hotmail address (name@hotmail.com).
    On the E-mail Server Name page, click HTTP in the My incoming mail server is box.
    In the box My HTTP service provider is, click Hotmail or Other.

If the box Incoming mail server is displayed, type http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp.

On the Internet Mail Logon page, type your account name and password in the respective boxes. Your account name is the first half of your MSN Hotmail e-mail address (the information before the @ sign).
    Click Finish to add your Hotmail account to Outlook Express.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've gotten zero help from every source I've tried, but does anyone know if aol mail is capable of being retreived through X's Mail? :confused:

5. cyberkazoo macrumors newbie

Good thinking!

About Hotmail, that's how it's set up for Outlook Express for Win, etc... So it may work IF Mail allows you to enter HTTP server, not IMAP or POP server.

As far as AOL mail goes, Netscape sets up like this:
    imap.mail.aol.com (port 143)

Hope it works, though ... it doesn't quite work even on Netscape 6 which I got this information from! :(

Good luck you guys!

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Good thinking!

thanks....I'll try it out tomorrow! :p