Mail question - please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcv, Jun 22, 2005.

1. dcv macrumors G3

Hi, I've only had my powerbook for a few days so am new to Mac Mail.

Can you please tell me how i request a read receipt when sending a message? I have searched the mail help and these forums for "read receipt", "return receipt" etc but just can't find this anywhere. I can't believe that it's not an implemented feature - perhaps it's just called something else in the mac world. I'm more accustomed to using Lotus Notes mail or Outlook.

Please advise. thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for your reply.

I also emailed a friend who sent me the same article back and advised me to prefix it with sudo to run as an administrator or something (please excuse my ignorance, have only been a mac user since saturday!)

so i typed: sudo defaults read com.apple.mail UserHeaders

and i got this message: The domain/default pair of (com.apple.mail, UserHeaders) does not exist

am not sure what i'm doing wrong, as i said, have never used this before.

i just can't believe such a simple mail feature needs a hack to enable it!! - my first black mark against os x!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Your friend is (probably) wrong. Prefixing with sudo means that you are runngin as the superuser (not you). As the superuser does not use Mail.app they do not have any defaults so the return message is correct. Try again without sudo.

5. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Ok i just tried it without the sudo and got the same error message.

Looking back at that article, someone further down the page has commented that they're not sure that UserHeaders work with Mail 2 in Tiger. So perhaps that is the problem.

I did another google search and came across a utility called mailPriority... but apparently this doesn't work with Tiger either!

oh well, will have to send that particular message from my windows box then.

thanks for your help anyway :)