Mail question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Solafaa, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Is it possible to send an email from my mail but not useing the main .mac account but rather an aliases.

I use an aliase for ebay and the only way i can send email is when i go to www.mac.com, i need to be able to send it from mail itself if thats possible.

Thanks

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Dude, you sound like you are trying to scam people at ebay. If you want to send and email, you have to use an account you have. Being your .mac account, or yahoo account or hotmail account. You can setup mail to have multiple accounts, if that is what you mean. Like I have my Penn State and .mac mail as one mailbox. And I can choose which account is the sender when making a new mail.

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I don't think you understand what he is trying to do.

If I understand correctly you use a .Mac alias email address for eBay, and you want to be able to send mail showing the alias address as the reply to address. I don't think you can do it, unless you set up your account with the alias as your reply-to address for all emails you send. :cool:

4. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Yup thats what i want to do and not scam people on ebay :)
    I wish they could add a a pulldown menu that will allow me to send as any on my aliases it makes it much more easy.

The reason why i have aliases is that i dont want everyone sending me emails to 1 account, i have one for work and work releated stuff, one is personal, the other i use for this fourm (solafaa@mac.com), one for ebay/auctions and the last one is for when sometimes shopes/people send me new stuff coming (DVDs, products).

Makes life much easyer.

5. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Yes, this is possible! This is the exact answer I am looking for. I have had my OS X Mail set-up this way for several years with multiple "sender" email addresses selectable from an account drop-down menu. How to achieve this is explained in the Help of the Mail app.

My situation is that I recently did a complete re-install and can't get Mail to send. I currently have the multiple accounts (email address names) set-up in Mail Preferences and selectable in the "Account" drop-down menu (all .Mac names/aliases of one .Mac account), same as before, yet Mail will not send any messages.

Receiving incoming messages is working just fine.

Any ideas of what I am missing?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Open Mail.app -> Preferences -> Accounts -> Choose your .Mac account -> in the "Email Addresses" window, add your aliases, separated by a comma.

Now, when you create a new email, your aliases will be in the "Account:" select-bar.

END COMMUNICATION

7. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Thanks for that, but that is not the problem I am having. I have that part correctly set-up. I guess you did not read my whole message. BTW, the "Email Addresses" entry field is not selectable in the default .Mac account.

My problem is that when I click Send, no matter which "Account" sender address I have selected, the message does not get sent. Mail attempts to send, but eventually times out without sending the message. Sometimes there is an error message with three options and sometimes the send times out with no error message.

As I said before, this is all on one .Mac account, and is set-up correctly in the .Mac pane of System Preferences (and also in Mail Preferences), so then should also be set-up correctly in Mail.

Anyone have any idea why my Mail messages are not being sent?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You're right, I didn't read it all.. because....... I CAN'T READ!!! BooHOO!! I can't believe you made me admit that!!!

I thought you were talking about Mail.app (where you CAN change "Email Addresses" on your .Mac account.. at least I can on mine).

Are you talking about Mail.app or .Mac via the web?

9. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Thank you for your reply.

Mail just now mysteriously sent my messages that have been waiting in my Out box for fifteen hours. I cannot believe I have been working on this problem that long. I don't even know what triggered the send. I have tried every suggestion I came across.

I think it was changing the port setting on non-SBC smtp servers in my Mail Accounts from 25 to 587. I did also add the SBC smtp servers into my Mail Accounts and left those port settings at 25. I also emailed SBC seven hours ago, opting-out of the Port 25 block; I received their reply a few hours ago, so maybe that kicked in, even though I have not reset my DSL router yet.

Okay, to answer your questions, I am talking about OS X Mail (on my Mac), I guess you are calling that Mail.app. I use my .Mac account name as my main email address. Additionally, I have five aliases set-up in .Mac mail (on the web). However, when I go to Mail -> Prefs -> Accounts -> [my .Mac account name], the "Email Address" data field is not selectable, it is locked or "grayed out."

In fact, the only selectable data fields in [my .Mac account] are "Description" and "Full Name." All the other fields: "Account Type" (.Mac), "Email Address" (blank), "Incoming Mail Server," and "User Name" are all grayed out and locked. I think this is because my .Mac email account was automatically set-up in OS X Mail from my settings in the .Mac pane in System Preferences. I created a second faux account for the aliases.

Either way, Mail finally sent my waiting messages out, so I am very happy about that.