Mail questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mavimao, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

OK, I've decided that I want to use my desktop mail client to email my friends instead of webmail. Here is my unique situation.

Already on mail, I have an old IMAP account from college that went debunk a couple of years ago. An inbox and a series of folders.

I have a yahoo account that I have been using for several years with which I have amassed a good deal of emails I would like to keep.

Now, I am going to switch to gmail because I want to use POP. For my new gmail account I want to include my old IMAP emails and import my yahoo emails onto one account on Mail.app.

I hear it's possible to physically drag emails from different accounts in mail, correct? So if I create the gmail account in mail, all I would have to do is drag the folders over, right?

Now the yahoo equation. Using freepops, I should be able to import my yahoo account. Does anyone know if freepops imports folders, as well?

So if all goes well I should:

- Create a gmail account, and then set up the POP on mail.app.

- Drag the old imap inbox + folders into the mail.app gmail account.

- Set up a yahoo mail.app account and using freepops import my yahoo emails. After my inbox + folders are imported, I can drag them into the gmail account on mail.app.

- delete the old imap and yahoo mail.app accounts to have one single account.

Am I crazy? Thank you for your help.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Can't help you with your Yahoo question but you certainly can drag mail from one account to another inside of mail.app. I do this all the time between my gmail account and my .mac account.

3. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Wait I just thought of something. Can I just change the settings of my old IMAP account to what will be my new gmail account? That way, my old IMAP emails will still be there and save me an additional step?

BTW I am using mail 1.3.11 (v622/623)

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm not sure what would happen, I would rather set up a brand new account, rather than risk accidentally deleting your IMAP messages. I presume you no longer have access to your old IMAP server so the only copy of the messages you have are on your machine.

5. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Yeah, my account is deleted from the servers...

OK, thanks for all your help!

So does anyone know about freepops and getting it to import my Yahoo! folders?

OK, I am putting up the answer just in case someone else needs to figure out what to do.

What you need is to download macfreepops It's an easy program to get a local server set up to download mail from a webmail service.

Then I set up a new account in Mail - this would be for the yahoo account.

I then proceeded to download my yahoo! mail inbox.

Then I took my yahoo account offline in Mail.

Back to the webbrowser, I moved the contents of my inbox to a folder. Then, one at a time, I would move all the contents of one folder to my inbox, take the yahoo account online in Mail and ask it to download.

Just do this over and over and you should have all your emails in the inbox of your mail.app yahoo account. Then create folders and sort them out.