Mail ? re: receipts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kangaroo, Feb 3, 2004.

1. kangaroo macrumors regular

Does Mail allow you to send an email with a 'read receipt'? If so, how? :confused: Thanks.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Re: Mail ? re: receipts

I just checked Apple Support, did a search for 'read receipts', and came up with no topics that are related to Mac OS X Mail. Therefore, I concluded that this is not possible. (I don't have a Mac to test this on right now.)

3. kangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Mail ? re: receipts

wrldwzrd89, Thanks for the effort--that was very nice of you. I, too, did what you did and came up empty but my expectations on 'help/support systems' is very very low. (And since receiving such an anemic response to this query--my expectations on MacRumors is low). Having spent a reasonable amount of time scouring the Mail menus, I've concluded that Mail does not include what, IMHO, should be a fundamental email feature. I took a brief look at Microsofts's Entourage and surprisingly it too does not appear to contain this feature even though Outlook (on windows) does (Tools->Request Read Receipt).

If anyone is aware of a decent Mac mail program that does provide this <basic> functionality--please let me know.

Also, can anyone recommend a website or resource for getting basic Mac hardware/software questions answered?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Re: Re: Re: Mail ? re: receipts

kangaroo,

You must remember that requesting a read receipt doesn't always mean you'll get one (you won't if the receiving mail program/system doesn't support read receipts, [presumably] such as Mac OS X Mail). I don't know why you consider read receipt functionality basic - Outlook for Windows is the only program I have ever used that supports it and I haven't heard of any other email programs besides Outlook for Windows that support receipts of any sort. I find receipts to be more trouble than they're worth due to widespread lack of support (as far as I can tell).

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Lotus Notes supports receipts too. Receipts are a non-standard mail feature, and they are a server feature, not a client feature. AFAIK there is no standard SMTP header for return receipt.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I would recommend sticking with MacRumors myself but I wouldn't go around calling people's replies 'anemic' as it is insulting and doesn't inspire other people to help you later on.

I've found plenty of help here. wrldwzrd89 was under no obligation to help you and came up with the exact same answer you did so I don't see where his response failed at all.

Back to the topic though... I haven't looked much into this but it might be what you're looking for:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14967

Myself, I have Outlook at work and neither request receipts and automatically deny a receipt be sent to the sender. I think they're a waste of bandwidth. I'm sure you have your use for them but... I'm not even sure that these receipts are part of your "basic" functionality as you've called it. Outlook is the only program I know of that has them (not that I claim to be an expert on variations of e-mail software either).

7. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

I heartily recommend Mac OS X Hints for reading and commenting on specific hints, and the associated Mac OS X Hints Forums for asking questions, making suggestions, and reading up (they're very similar to these forums, but perhaps a bit more focused, with maybe a smaller community).

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mail ? re: receipts

Hey, thanks SilentPanda! I very much appreciate the feedback.

9. kangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mail ? re: receipts

SilentPanda, I didn't mean to suggest that wrldwzrd89's failed me--I thanked wrldwzrd89 for his effort and indicated it was a very nice thing for him to do. By 'anemic response' I was referring to the lack of repsonses as opposed to wrldwzrd89's specific response--but I could have made that clearer (and in retrospect I should have left it out altogether).

I, obviously, differ with your opinion to not use receipts, but under certain circumstances (not as a regular protocol) they can be quite useful--if timing is an issue and/or confirmation that an E-mail has been received is required. Most mail sent via the USPS is sent without a Delivery/Signature confirmation but that feature is provided for those special times when you need it--E-mail should be no different.

Thank you for the link to MailPriority--I'll check it out. :)

10. kangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mail ? re: receipts

wrldwzrd89, your response was definately not anemic--thanks again!

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mail ? re: receipts

No biggie... sometimes you get lots of responses... sometimes you don't... frankly I never browse the forums, I just respond to things that hit the front page... so if it gets posted at an off time for me I'm likely to never read it... I'm certain there are others that are the same way... anyhow... I hope you find something you're looking for. But if you send me an e-mail... don't expect a return receipt.. :D ;) :p

12. gbojim macrumors 6502

Cubist has the point. The ability to handle read receipts is a function of the server software - moreso than the client. I have installed receipt functionality before with SMTP servers, and it was always a purchased add on. Also, there is usually a list of supported mail clients and an associated plug-in to allow the client to access the functionality.

The reason it is available in MS Outlook is Outlook has the hooks for Echange Server which includes receipts.

13. Refujeet macrumors newbie

My university's web based mail app supports it...even on safari. :cool:

14. edwajean macrumors newbie

EUDORA uses receipts- both send and receive!

It might be an ollde but goldie- but EUDORA for mac still offers receipts both for sending and receiving. It;s the one feature I can hardly do without - especially wehne so many important email get spammed, or when the recipient's server is down. The automatic message tells me whopened the messag, and when... or if it was simply deleted..!

So glitzy and chromy Apple Mail may be, buy Eudora is still my favourite!!