Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.
I'm used to using outlook at work and creating a set of folders, in which I enter if and e-mail comes from 'bla@bla.com' put it into 'this' folder. However, when I've done this in mail, although the rule appears perfect - it in-fact does nothing? Any idea's?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
shuurajou said:
I'm used to using outlook at work and creating a set of folders, in which I enter if and e-mail comes from 'bla@bla.com' put it into 'this' folder. However, when I've done this in outlook, although the rule appears perfect - it in-fact does nothing? Any idea's?

That *is* what the rules are supposed to do. I have several of these rules set up that I use regularly, and they do work. So hmmm, we should be able to figure out why yours do not. First of all, there should be a rule in there for Apple mail, that Apple presets for you. :rolleyes: It should turn mail from Apple blue in the header list. Does this rule work?

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.
mkrishnan said:
That *is* what the rules are supposed to do. I have several of these rules set up that I use regularly, and they do work. So hmmm, we should be able to figure out why yours do not. First of all, there should be a rule in there for Apple mail, that Apple presets for you. :rolleyes: It should turn mail from Apple blue in the header list. Does this rule work?

The apple one works without fault (as expected). I have posted a screenshot below.

mail.tiff

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Try changing the type for each constraint from "equals" to "contains." As I remember, I think I also could not get them to work reliably with "equals," but I have full e-mail addresses in fields using "contains" and they work fine, oddly enough.

BTW: there's an extra localhost/ at the beginning of your image URL that prevents it from working (but I figured it out). :)

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.
mkrishnan said:
Try changing the type for each constraint from "equals" to "contains." As I remember, I think I also could not get them to work reliably with "equals," but I have full e-mail addresses in fields using "contains" and they work fine, oddly enough.

BTW: there's an extra localhost/ at the beginning of your image URL that prevents it from working (but I figured it out). :)

And as if by magic, everything started working - thanks for that buddy! *notes to self; contains, not equals*.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
shuurajou said:
And as if by magic, everything started working - thanks for that buddy! *notes to self; contains, not equals*.

One would expect it to make sense, and yet it doesn't at all! :D

EDIT: Actually, I think I *can* explain it. If you have a friend whose name is Friend Ofmine, and whose e-mail address is friend@gmail.com, then his e-mail appears in the header as:

"Friend Ofmine <friend@gmail.com>" or something like that.

So it contains "friend@gmail.com" but doesn't equal it. I think that's why it doesn't work. Equal might work if you copy and paste a bubbled e-mail address from a message (one that Mail already processed, so that it appears in a shaded oval). But contains is safer. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You didn't make some rules, then expect them to auto-apply to existing messages in your inbox, did you? If that's the case, select the message(s) you want the rules to affect, then choose Message->Apply Rules from the menu bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.