Mail rules question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by advres, Jan 3, 2005.

1. advres Guest

advres

OK,

I did a search and found many threads on the topic but none that solve my particular problem.

I have many rules that copy messages from certain people into certain folders. It makes it real easy for me to go back through and find emails from people.

I prefer to use copy(instead of move) so I can immediately see I have messages in the general inbox and only use the folders for archive purposes. My problem is this, If I use the "mark as read" function in a rule it marks the copy that was sent into the folder as read AND the one in my general inbox. Is there anyway that when the mail comes in, the main inbox one remains "unread" but the copied version sent to its proper folder gets marked as "read"?

It gets a to be a real hassle everyday to highlight all the folders, arrange by read status and mark them as read. I get about a hundred or so a day and the time it takes to index these, to mark them as read, annoys me.

Thanks!!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you.

I agree if you're using this system, it can get annoying, but why do you need to arrange them by read status? Just select the folders you want to mark, choose select all, and mark as read (your subfolders need to be expanded for this to work). Takes about 15 seconds.

I use a slightly different system. I copy manually to subfolders after I've read and replied to messages. That way, when my inbox is empty, I'm all caught up on my correspondence.

3. advres thread starter Guest

advres

I never thought of doing that. Works like a charm to some extent. The thing is, do to the quantity of emails and the typical large attachments I recieve for work, when I highlight the folders it tries indexing all the unread emails which can take quite a long time.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, I've found that annoying in Mail. Perhaps Tiger will fix it....

It might be possible to set up an applescript to do it. Then you could run the script when you head out to grab a cup of coffee.