Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
I'm trying to do something sneaky, setting an auto reply vacation message to send to only certain email addresses. I tested it with a gmail account, inserting the gmail address in the "FROM" field in the rule. However, something seems to be going haywire, it seems to be triggering auto-replies to a lot of my own old outgoing messages (that were not even sent to/from that gmail address). What is going wrong?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
hkriffraff said:
I'm trying to do something sneaky, setting an auto reply vacation message to send to only certain email addresses. I tested it with a gmail account, inserting the gmail address in the "FROM" field in the rule. However, something seems to be going haywire, it seems to be triggering auto-replies to a lot of my own old outgoing messages (that were not even sent to/from that gmail address). What is going wrong?

How is your rule constructed? Could your 'Any' or 'All' setting cause the rule to trigger a reply to any message you receive?

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
I can't quite make sense of it. I have it set to (using ANY), If FROM CONTAINS xyz@gmail.com -> Reply to message, Reply Text.

However, if I set it to IF FROM IS EQUAL TO xyz@gmail.com.... the auto reply doesn't work.

If I select YES to "Do you want to apply your rules to messages in open boxes?" ...it' goes totally haywire, generating all kinds of autoreplies to old messages, even those not from xyz@gmail.com.

Doesn't instill much confidence!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That's odd.. because unless you choose the "Apply Rules" option from a pull-down, any rules you create in Mail.app are only applied to incoming mail.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
hkriffraff said:
I can't quite make sense of it. I have it set to (using ANY), If FROM CONTAINS xyz@gmail.com -> Reply to message, Reply Text.

However, if I set it to IF FROM IS EQUAL TO xyz@gmail.com.... the auto reply doesn't work.

If I select YES to "Do you want to apply your rules to messages in open boxes?" ...it' goes totally haywire, generating all kinds of autoreplies to old messages, even those not from xyz@gmail.com.

Doesn't instill much confidence!

Do you have any other active rules? Rules are applied in order so it may be a previous or a subsequent rule is interfering with your expected results

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.