Mail slow with (AOL) IMAP

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by hotbelgo, Apr 28, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Mail was very good at setting itself up for an AOL (AIM) email service using the IMAP hooks, but it runs very slowly to look over emails. I've set it up to work offline but the activity monitor still shows lots of syncing every time I select an email to view.

I don't have this problem with thunderbird on my Linux box, so I wondered if there were any tips

HB

2. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm not too sure, but see if the tip described here might help at all. :eek:

3. macrumors G4

I don't have a problem with AOL. IIRC, you are the first to report this problem. Perhaps, there is something unique in how you configured your access to AOL's mail servers.

4. macrumors member

if you using IMAP, it might simply be that your inbox is really big and syncing it with the server takes a while.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the tip for the SQL database but I didn't really have this problem as everything is newly setup. What I see in the activity monitor is that tasks sit there for quite a while before being executed. Maybe that would always be the case and the problem is that mail.app too frequently checks against the servers rather than using the offline version which it has saved?