mail smtp problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ec1_mac, Oct 9, 2004.

1. ec1_mac macrumors newbie

ec1_mac

Ok so using the macs default Mail app and my pop settings i can receive mail no problem but cannot send. Yet on my pc withe the same settings, Outlook sends and receives no problem. Any ideas why the mac is having issues sending? :(

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Make sure your Server settings for outgoing mail are set with your username and password.

Attached Files:

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what's your ISP and what is the value of the smtp server through which you're trying to send?

4. ec1_mac thread starter macrumors newbie

ec1_mac

tried putting in usr name and password to smtp still getting pop up that reads

"The server response was: Administrative prohibition"

im on a wireless network, my isp is BT Broadband.

Its just frustrating how i can recieve but not send, im having to use an old pc whch works perectly.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Are you sure you copied over all the settings correctly? Some servers dont use any SMTP authentication, while some require password authentication.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you should use the smtp value associated w/ that service.

what is it set to now?

7. ec1_mac thread starter macrumors newbie

ec1_mac

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i googled and found this:
    mail.btopenworld.com

i also found a lot of info saying BT doesn't offer any kind of smtp anymore, other info saying they're reintroducing it w/ authentication, more info saying they're reintroducing it w/ a fee. so who knows?

try the above. if that doesn't work, call their tech support. you're paying them $$, right?

9. ec1_mac thread starter macrumors newbie

ec1_mac

just confuses me how it works on my pc but not mac . ah well i will speak to my host. cheers

10. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I am having the EXACT same problem with Charter email...

It was working fine, then I moved to college and now I can't send email. I can receive it but not send it...Still don't know what's to blame...ANYONE!?

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

This one is likely pretty simple. Their SMTP (outgoing mail) servers are set to only allow connections from users who are on their network. This is an anti-spam tactic. At college you are on a different network, so they deny your access.

Simplest thing to do is to change your SMTP server to whatever your college recommends. You shouldn't need to change anything else - you can still identify yourself with your Charter e-mail address, in other words.

Another possibility is to ask Charter if they allow customers to use their SMTP while traveling; if they do, it'll probably require authentication to be set up.