Mail spam filter port on Linux?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcs37, Sep 16, 2004.

1. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

I've been thoroughly impressed with Apple's Mail spam filter that uses latent semantic indexing, a technique I first learned for an effective web indexing system. I am curious if anyone knows if there is a similar system available for e-mail servers or clients elsewhere in the computer world, specifically Linux. Right now my Linux server gets about 90% of the spam coming in using SpamAssassin, while Mail I have noticed gets near 98% of mine.

Does anyone know if there is such a port available on Linux? Perhaps for the Pine e-mail client? I think I will ultimately combine the two (right now I'm not using SpamAssassin on the account that my Mac reads) for maximum effectiveness, but I was curious if I could simply use Mac's filter from the beginning.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

SpamAssassin has bayesian filtering, the same as Apple's Mail.app.

3. mcs37 thread starter macrumors regular

mcs37

I was under the impression that latent semantic indexing != bayesian filtering, which is more of a self-learning system. Either way, Apple's filter is a LOT more effective than my SpamAssassin.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As of SpamAssassin 2.63 (the latest version I've used), it's still bayesian. I'm pretty sure that Mail.app uses a bayes spam filtering model as well.