Mail & Spam

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hkriffraff, Sep 2, 2004.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

Oct 6, 2003
    When I first switched to my Mac, I found the Mail program's junk filtering
    feature very useful. Over time though, I find that quite a lot of spam is still getting through even with continuous training (is it even worth continuing to train the app - or does it reach a certain limit or how well it can be trained?).

Do you think the anti-spam features will be upgraded soon (maybe with a challenge/response system?) or is it necessary to purchase some other anti-spam solution?

Any suggestions?
  2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    For me Mail was most of the time spot on, in training there were only a few messages which I had to tell Mail were ok

Start up the Junk filter and see how it goes, the Junk will go into the Junk mailbox so you can easily review and tell it was Spam and what isn't
  3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I used to get a significant number of spams in a week, but it seems to have dried up. So I think it's worth perservering with training the junk filter and perhaps setting up a few logical rules to delete them before they reach your inbox.
  4. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    I use JunkMatcher in conjunction with Mail's filtering. It seems to really help in sending the garbage to my junk folder.
  5. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I get huge amounts of spam, and Mail's Junk filter never really helped. SpamSieve isn't too expensive, though, works well, and doesn't require you to fuss with it on its own the way so many other spam filters do. (Alternatively, I've recently switched back to Entourage, for other reasons, and was surprised to find I didn't need a third-party spam filter any more. First time in years.)