Mail subfolders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by virtual, Oct 8, 2006.

1. virtual macrumors member

Does anyone know if, in Mail, it is possible to create subfolders under your POP accounts? So for instance:

Code:
    Inbox
     - POP address 1
         - Subfolder 1
         - Subfolder 2
     - POP address 2
         - Subfolder 1
     - POP address 3
         - Subfolder 1
         - Subfolder 2
         - Subfolder 3
    This is the style that I prefer than subfolders being after the junk box.

Thanks
    virtual

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

3. virtual thread starter macrumors member

If I right click on 'Inbox' then I only get an option for 'New Mailbox...' and 'New Smart Mailbox...'. 'New Mailbox' just creates a folder after the 'Junk' folder. I also can't drag and drop this to under one of the POP accounts.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Sorry about that, it was my IMAP email address I can do that with. With POP I am not sure.

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

You should be able to do this, I created several subfolders in Mail on my system and I have a POP account.

All you need to do is select the parent folder, right click and select new mailbox. You get a dialogue box for inputting the name of the folder. Just above the field for inputting the mailbox name, there should be a confirming note that you are creating a "child" for the parent folder you selected.

Worked for me.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not 100% certain... but does it depend on the POP server in question? If you create subfolders of the parent POP account's inbox, it implies that those folders are also on the server. But not all servers allow for subfolders to begin with, do they? And if the folder is not on the server, then what is the point in making it a subfolder?

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Yes, you can create subfolders, but they do not reside in the Inboxes. Do the right-click and create new mailbox.. then select that one, right-click again, new mailbox. Then you'll have a subfolder. You can also drag/drop them too. But they won't be under Inbox like you're looking for.