mail text

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by blue&whiteman, Jul 7, 2004.

1. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

in the panther mail app when I first open it brings up 2 lines of text just under all the icons but they come and go so fast that its hard to read even 1 word. its not the "checking email" or "sending password" stuff because that comes up after and is up long enough to read. I have kinda been wondering this for a while. why even bother showing text at all if its for half a second??

anyone know exactly what it says?

2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Does it say something like "indexing: your messages" ? I usually get that when I open it, and it usually has titles of the messages I last looked at or received.

3. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

It goes something like "opening mailbox...", "indexing messages...", "getting messages; 34 of 374..." Basically progress messages.

Your computer is just too damn fast!

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

for troubleshooting purposes. most people when fixing computer problems prefer software to give them feedback. also i would say most users would prefer to see the computer doing something while they wait. more importantly just imagine, someone checking mail and had to wait awhile because of a slow network connection. if the end-user was using mail and was checking and waiting, but the software provide no feedback. that would envoke the end-user to convey all sorts unwanted reaction because it doesn't know what the software is doing.

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

good point. It was actually helpful when my mom was unable to receive mail, at least I knew it was doing something. :rolleyes:

6. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

thanks for the replies. its frustrating when your computer gives you info but doesn't show it long enough to read.