Mail - transfer from computer to another computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lanray, Oct 24, 2006.

1. lanray macrumors regular

I finally sold off my ugly, cantankerous Windows tablet PC and got my wife an old ibook G4 800 MHz. I installed the most recent version of Tiger. I am trying to transfer her Mail ap messages from our PB G4 1.67 (rev. D) to the ibook. Her Mail messages are in her "account" on the PB, where I'm administrator and my wife is another account.

So, I go to Libraries - Mail and copied the file to our external drive. I did the same for the Libraries - Preferences - com.apple.mail.plist. I pasted both of them in the proper places on the iBook. When I go to open Mail, it seems to recognize the "preferences", in that it goes right to checking my wife's email, but it doesn't pull up the "Mail" folder with her mail in it. I've made sure, using "get info" that the file is the correct one (it's 229.4 MB).

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rodney

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Make sure the permissions are correct on the folder you copied over.. she needs to own the folder (and all it's contents) and be able to read/write to it/them.

3. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

Checked permissions

I checked them, and it looks good. My wife is listed as being able to read and write, and I changed the "admin" to "read and write". "Others" don't have any access. Still doesn't work. Weird.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just to make sure, you copied ~wife-oldmac/Library/Mail/ to ~wife-newmac/Library/Mail/?

Where ~wife-oldmac & ~wife-newmac refer to her accounts on the old Mac and on the new Mac, respectively?

And you made sure the contents of the Mail folder were the proper permissions too?

5. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

pretty sure...

Yes, those are the places of the files that I moved.

Yes, I went to "get info" and then clicked on "permissions" and made sure they were wide open for "read and write".

I'm going to try and transfer them from my admin account on the PB. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions?

6. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

update

Tried to copy from my (admin) account, without luck.

7. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

oops

Well, kind of a maybe sort of a newbie thing. I was using the "root" directory, instead of the "user" directory. When I put the files in the right spot, they worked. Thanks for your suggestions.

8. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

i think ill need to know the same.

getting a new macbook pro now. will need to transfer from powerbook

9. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I don't think you can just paste the files into the folder. You have to open mail, and import them from the file menu