Mail Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by failsafe1, Oct 31, 2006.

1. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I am having a difficult time sending e-mail from Mail. I am using my .mac account with the SMTP info coming from my provider not the .mac SMTP.I am with Cox Communications who just became Sudden Link. I had no trouble until the change over and believe it is coming from blocked ports. I understand they block port 25 and have changed ports with no luck. I have also changed my SMTP information to reflect the changes from Cox to Sudden Link. I have spent a fair amount of time chatting live with customer support but when I get to the Mac OS X part I am told they can't help. I even tried rapido SMTP with no success. Anyone have any suggestions? I am really confused and any help would be appreciated.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

First, when they say they blocked port 25, what they mean is that they blocked port 25 on SMTP servers other than their own. But you must use the correct ports to do mail sending. So the first thing is that you will almost certainly need to focus on getting the Sudden Link SMTP server working.

These are the things you need to know:

1) What is the name of the server? Sounds like you have this.
    2) Does the server require authentication? If no, then you should be using port 25 and you should leave any user name, password, etc fields associated with the SMTP blank. If yes, you should find out which type of authentication, which port it uses (each one is different), and how the user information (user name and password) should be given for the SMTP server. Then you should change the port and the user information accordingly.

All of this is exactly the same in every operating system and has nothing to do with Macs, so they should be able to give you this information.

3. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Thanks

I was required to change my old password from the Cox days to a new Sudden Link one. I have tried the authentication password option with no success.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're using port 25 you probably do not need to be authenticating to the SMTP server at all... did you try the no authentication option, with port 25, and with nothing in the username and password blanks in the SMTP settings?

5. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I think so

I think I did but can try that again. You know when you get frustrated and try several combinations of things your mind can slip away.

6. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Things seem to be working now. I changed some things around in the password section that I am sure tried before and things did not work then after trying to send a few more times things started magically working. I am still convinced it is the switch over from Cox to Sudden Link but as long as it work who cares. Thanks all.

7. psmith0408 macrumors newbie

What are you SMTP settings? I have the same problem. I'm on Suddenlink, and I can't get any mail to Send. The web apps in MobileMe are quite nice, so I'm getting along alright. BUT I'd really like to use my native mail app.