Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akraz144

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Ever since I've been in Australia, the mail program will no longer check my hotmail account and I've just gotten a gmail account and I can't seem to configure that properly either. Any ideas on what to do? The only error I get is that they're "not implemented".

oh and incidentally, anyone have any suggestions on a good ftp program? prefferably free. Thanks.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Akraz144 said:
Ever since I've been in Australia, the mail program will no longer check my hotmail account and I've just gotten a gmail account and I can't seem to configure that properly either. Any ideas on what to do? The only error I get is that they're "not implemented".

oh and incidentally, anyone have any suggestions on a good ftp program? prefferably free. Thanks.

Microsoft stopped allowing access to hotmail accounts from external mail programs like Mail and Outlook a few weeks back. If you want to check your hotmail, you now have to log onto the hotmail site.

Not sure about gmail...

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
with regards to a good free ftp programme, i have cyberduck, i dont know where i got it from but it seems pretty effective.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Akraz144 said:

Yep, "not impelmented" is the error message people get now that HTTPmail has been disabled (unless you pay MSN for access).

What are you using to attach to Gmail?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Akraz144 said:

I've read somewhere on these forums that GMail POP connectivity has been implemented on a trial basis. Try clicking here for instructions on configuring it (may require you to be logged in first).

I use the command-line FTP program built in to Mac OS X. It can be accessed via Terminal and the ftp command.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Akraz144 said:

Gmail still doesn't offer any POP3 support. The link above concerns only mail forwarding which doesn't really help much, but is still a useful feature to have. We'll have to wait and see whether gmail installs POP3 functionality.

As for an FTP program I've been using Fetch for quite some time now. Works great for me!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mfacey said:
Gmail still doesn't offer any POP3 support. The link above concerns only mail forwarding which doesn't really help much, but is still a useful feature to have. We'll have to wait and see whether gmail installs POP3 functionality.

As for an FTP program I've been using Fetch for quite some time now. Works great for me!
There's a handy little program called GMail to Mail that does what you want; unfortunately, it doesn't work with the current GMail service right now.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
FTP Program - Free

I would suggest RBrowserLite for a free FTP program. The user interface is a little clunky, but I has been reliable and consistent uploading to my website (use it daily). Supports drag and drop from the finder also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.