Mail troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Akraz144, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Akraz144 macrumors newbie

Ever since I've been in Australia, the mail program will no longer check my hotmail account and I've just gotten a gmail account and I can't seem to configure that properly either. Any ideas on what to do? The only error I get is that they're "not implemented".

oh and incidentally, anyone have any suggestions on a good ftp program? prefferably free. Thanks.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Microsoft stopped allowing access to hotmail accounts from external mail programs like Mail and Outlook a few weeks back. If you want to check your hotmail, you now have to log onto the hotmail site.

Not sure about gmail...

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

with regards to a good free ftp programme, i have cyberduck, i dont know where i got it from but it seems pretty effective.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, "not impelmented" is the error message people get now that HTTPmail has been disabled (unless you pay MSN for access).

What are you using to attach to Gmail?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've read somewhere on these forums that GMail POP connectivity has been implemented on a trial basis. Try clicking here for instructions on configuring it (may require you to be logged in first).

I use the command-line FTP program built in to Mac OS X. It can be accessed via Terminal and the ftp command.

6. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Gmail still doesn't offer any POP3 support. The link above concerns only mail forwarding which doesn't really help much, but is still a useful feature to have. We'll have to wait and see whether gmail installs POP3 functionality.

As for an FTP program I've been using Fetch for quite some time now. Works great for me!

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's a handy little program called GMail to Mail that does what you want; unfortunately, it doesn't work with the current GMail service right now.

8. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

FTP Program - Free

I would suggest RBrowserLite for a free FTP program. The user interface is a little clunky, but I has been reliable and consistent uploading to my website (use it daily). Supports drag and drop from the finder also.

9. Gambuchi macrumors member

10. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i second that