Mail won't allow WMV files...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by d.f, Apr 27, 2006.

1. d.f macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2003
    Hi. have searched but couldn't find an answer.

when i fwd a wmv file to my home email - - it's attached but called winmail.dat. saving it to the laptop and trying to open it doesn't work. even changing the filename to winmail.wmv doesn't help.

am i doing something wrong, or are .mac accounts and WMV files arch enemy's....?

any help appreciated.
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Try zipping it up then send it. Maybe being in an archive will solve the problem.
  3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2004
    I have no idea why some attachments come as winmail.dat (what machine and OS are you sending these from - I assumed these type of attachments were only created when sent from Windows computers...), but I receive a few (even word and ppt docs).

A workaround is to used this program (TNEF enough, link below) to extract the file from winmail.dat. A bit of a pain, but it works. Maybe someone else has more insight into why this happens in the 1st place...

Edit: the product description gives some background - as I thought, it is outlook / exchange that causes this
  4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    90% likely to be sent from Outlook. And it's a known problem with Outlook and Exchange Servers. Mainly it's because (shockingly) Microsoft wants to do things their way and everyone else be damned.

That link also shows how to cope with it..