Mail won't keep any of my sent messages!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FleurDuMal, Sep 26, 2006.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hey,

I've just set up Mail to use my university email account. It's an IMAP account, so all my incoming mail uses the IMAP server, and all my outgoing mail uses the SMTP server. It does everything just fine, except it won't save any of my messages into the Sent folder. I have ticked the box in Preferences in mail which asks you whether you want to save sent messages, yet it still refuses to do so.

Any ideas? :(

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think its because its an IMAP account. The sent items will actually be on the server and not stored locally. If it was a POP account then the sent items would be accessible.

3. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Yeah, the sent mail is all stored on the server. My email account is, in reality, a webmail account. But is there no way mail can access the server to store the sent mail?? When a message is sent through the actual webmail method (actually going onto the website) it saves outgoing mail with no problem. It's just when sending mail through Mail it struggles :confused:

4. ItinerantHippo macrumors newbie

Select the account in the mailbox sidebar, and click on the + at the bottom left of the window to create a sub-folder of said [IMAP] account. Name it what you want; it should not matter. Now select the sub-folder (expanding the arrow if necessary), and go in the menubar to Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent.
    And boom.

5. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hurrah! It worked. Thanks!

Now is there anyway to get a mailbox for Trash (I tried doing the same thing as I did for sent, but it doesn't seem to work...).

6. michsb macrumors newbie

Sent emails suddenly not stored!

This same problem just started happening to me, all of a sudden. We use POP, not IMAP. It worked for years, now the sent emails disappear. I created a mailbox as suggested, and it works, but would like to have the 'old way' back with my 'sent' box working... we have not changed/upgraded anything, it just stopped suddenly.