Mail won't quit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nutella, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Nutella macrumors member

Hi, I have a Powerbook 12", OS X. Suddenly my Mail program is unresponsive, after having worked fine previously. I have Mail and Safari opened. When I click on Mail from the bottom icon bar, the Mail panel appears along the top of my screen, but not the Mail window. When I click on Mail, Quit Mail, nothing happens. I'm able to get to my mail by clicking on the right side of the bottom panel (next to the trash can), or by clicking on File, New Viewer Window, but other than that, Mail seems to be "stuck." Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...option+click on the icon in the dock and select "force quit" - that will kill it. Hopefully it is just one of those infrequent things...if it starts happening all the time then a more permanent fix will need to be looked at .....oh yeah!

3. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

May be a silly question but have you tried to force quit it? apple alt and esc or click and hold the mail icon in the dock

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

If that doesn't work, open up the Terminal the type:
    Code:
    killall Mail
    You can do this with any application, for example killall Finder, killall Safari, killall BillGates, ect.

5. Nutella thread starter macrumors member

Just tried "Force Quit" and restarted the computer. Seems to be working!

Phew, that was scary for a moment. Hopefully Mail will behave itself from now on! Thanks for the help!!! :)

6. Nutella thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and not a silly question at all, I never heard of "force quit" until now! Time to go buy Mac for Dummies :D

7. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Glad it worked. I had never heard of it until my first app froze :)