Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr_Brightside_@, May 16, 2006.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

Mail is royally ***** right now- it loads maybe one message (whichever I click on), takes quite awhile just to load that, and then freezes up compltety if i click on an older message. Ideas please? I force-quit it, repaired permsions and check preferecnes (with Preferential treatment) and rebooted but nothing. REpair disk maybe? thanjkx

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What does Activity Viewer say? Perhaps it's a bad attachment. Think about when this started and then go through the attachments you received at about the same time to narrow down where it is, then delete it. :)

3. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

what do you mean about activity viewer? what should it (or should it not) say? also, i'll go through my gmail account now, it's what i use, and i just recieved a couple excel files... cheers

4. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

i've seen that before with corrupt attachments like word files or pdfs. tried preferences and settings, etc. turns out it was just that one message. check other messages and see if it causes the same problem.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

well, i just deleted the entire email coversation from my gmail account online at lunch, so i'll check if they're gone/TRY to deleted\ them when i get home... so we'll see soon! thankx

6. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

oook- so basically, Mail opens. then beachballs. and manages to **** up everything else as well. any other ideas? Activity Monitor would probably be useless, as it'll probably freeze, and becasue I dont know what I'm looking for. Is there any way to delted the messages separately? I tried from Gmail but trheyr still copied in Mail... thankx!

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, Activity Viewer is the part of Mail that shows what's happening under the hood. You can access it through the Window menu or by pressing COMMAND-0 (zero). It might give you a hint as to which email has the corrupt attachment (assuming that's the problem).

Your emails are kept in a folder named Mail within your Home folder's library so you might have more luck removing file from there. Of course, make a backup of anything you do. I reckon jsw would tell you to make an archive of that entire folder and keep it on the Desktop for backup. :)

8. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

yeah, i'd seen the Mail folder awhile ago (when i was bored? i dunno- no, wait- it was when i deleted the mail.plist file! not smart!) so i delved in their, took out the ten or so most recent, esp. the two that i knew had attachments, opened the rest in textedit to see if they were even worth keeping (i rarely delete email) and figured out it was one from my PC friend who apparently sent no attachments but 'has been having trouble with her computer' unquote, which may have somethinmg to do with it... anyway i can't Gmail so it was almost out of the quesiton, but now if she re-freezes my computer, i'll know which email to delete ok thankx!