Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calebjohnston, May 27, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I decided I hate checking my gmail through Safari... but I haven't used an email client program before like thunderbird or anything else.

I want to use Apple's mail program, but all the info I need to know beforehand throws me off. Where do I find out what I need to know?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

It walks you pretty much through everything - what is your specific question?

3. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Mail > File > Add Account...

Incoming Mail Server: pop.gmail.com
    Username: youremail@gmail.com
    Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com:youremail@gmail.com

Does that help?

4. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yeah, thanks guys. I guess I should try reading a little more before I ask here. Google's site gives you all the information you need. Thanks.

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

You're welcome. :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

G-Mail has a couple of POP idiosyncracies, just to be aware of:

1) AFAIK, it isn't really possible to set G-Mail to use multiple client programs like Mail on two Macs or Mail on a Mac and Outlook on a PC. Whatever you set it to do, it still will only download a new message to the first computer that asks for it, and pretend like it's already been read for all the others. Even though this is not supposed to be what it does. Also it will ignore your deletion of e-mails from the client program, and keep them unless you delete them from the web interface (which I guess is not so bad, since the mailbox is so big, but I do have thousands of MacRumors forum update messages.... :eek: )

2) On the good side, you can still send messages to people from the webmail interface without mucking anything up. When you do, you'll get the SENT mail in your INBOX, oddly enough, in Mail. I have a Mail Rule set up to just move it to go with other sent messages (I keep an offline archive of sent messages, so I actually put it there, rather than in Sent Mail).... In the end, this works fairly nicely, although Mail may not be able to relate the two messages, so you may not be able to click on the arrow by the original message to see the reply you made, if you made it from webmail.

Other than that, G-Mail and Mail.app have done me great. :)

7. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Thanks for the heads up. I only have/use one computer, so I shouldn't run into any big problems.

Gracias all the same.