Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEO of apple

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Was at 5000 to go so I reset mine and now I back up to 500 thousand! Love the suspense and the countdown!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
That's odd. My total queue (people in front + people behind me) has been going down steadily. Now it's under 400,000.

People, what's your total queue?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
mine started at around 450k last Wednesday, down to 296k with 99k people behind me. I read on their twitter a few days ago that soon they are going to speed up the queue so probably no more lines ever. I do not know how long their "soon" is though. Could be days or weeks.

----------

Ok, summing up this thread:

People either LOVE IT! or they HATE IT!

CEO of apple

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
I going keep resetting mine so I can stand in line! Just love watching the numbers go down! Only thing I do now is watch it

DavidMarks

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
Is it just me or should all iOS notifications look like this? It is 'flatter' (Jony Ive) - modern and good looking.

Bawstun

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I've now been using this app for a few weeks, and I love it more and more. The Instagram aspect with the picture of the day / incentive to get your inbox down to zero is great too. It's just simple and effective. And the snooze option is amazing.

hulabaloo

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
lacks so much, offers so little

I was in line from 8xx,xxx down to zero on Friday. Added my account details, and started experimenting.

The good:

- Cool and useful idea of flicking a little versus a lot to access two similar actions.
- New concept of setting e-mails aside for some length of time you determine adds a to-do feature that's useful.
- Love the threaded conservation view as a default (much like the Mail app introduced in Lion/Mountain Lion.

The bad:

- Completely ignores the labels that make Gmail so useful to some of us. No access to that major Gmail feature at all.
- Incredibly over-uses the grey-on-grey UI paradigm that so many of us have been complaining about on this site since Apple (and other trendy designers) began using it a while ago. I should have been warned and expected it when I was struggling to read their light grey font on their blog, but their controls are all grey-on-grey and they use that same light grey font color in many other places too. What an incredible sacrifice of usability for the temporary "gain" of "the latest" look and "newness". Gag me.

I tried it for two days. It's now deleted from my iPhone, and I am back to the Gmail app. Even that app doesn't allow you to apply labels to mail beyond archiving to one folder, and yes, I do view that as a major failing. But at least I can use the UI!

So for those eagerly awaiting their countdown hitting zero, be aware that the wait may not be worth it, and you may be very let down. Light grey UI elements against grey or white backgrounds - you gotta be kidding me!

torturegarden

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Finally got to use it

The queue finally let me access the app today. Tried it, got annoyed, got frustrated, deleted it. Don't believe the hype.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
After recent news from Google not supporting Gmail push for iOS I think the app is failing project.

Bawstun

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Uh, the app does let you make lists/labels to archive mail into. There isn't just 'one' folder. Although as of yet there is no way to sync with already pre-existing gmail labels.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
If this is all it takes to make $50-100 Million, sign me up!

Sounds like we are in another dot com like boom, with companies paying exorbitant amounts of money for nothing. And it will eventually come crashing down

GL

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Could someone who has been using the app talk about how the push functionality works? Is it truly push from their servers? Or is it frequent fetch? Ever since Google did away with Microsoft ActiveSync, I've been looking for a solution for a push email service to my phone and it is ridiculously complicated...I want Gmail because I like the web interface/search, but push email to my phone is a very important feature, and the Gmail app sucks....so I'm SOL right now.

The way I have it right now is Gmail app notifies me instantly when I get an email, then I manually open the Mail app to download the new message and respond in Mail (I love the native mail app). This is quite circuitous.

You might want to try outlook.com. It isn't gmail but it does do MSAS with an exchange account and it is free. I don't know if you want to give up gmail though.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Seems ever since they were bought by Dropbox they have been filling reservations faster. I received access to the app yesterday. When I go through the email I'ma use it on I'll see how it works. Though so far I really like it and it seems to fit me.

Bawstun

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
It's push, and it's fast. As soon as the e-mail appears in the Gmail inbox, there's a new badge notification in the app. It's really good.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Only 120,000 people in front of me. Total queue is down to 300,000 people now. At this rate it will be gone in about 4 weeks.

Then Dropbox offers it to all their users and the queue shoots up to over a millon.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I'm at 150,802. Seems to have picked up a lot of speed since I worked it out to take me about 3 weeks only 6 days ago. I started at 450k so it should only be another 3-4 days I assume :D

This countdown thing has made the app probably more interesting to me vs without a countdown. I will probably only use this app a couple of times then just use the computer version again. No loss, no worries ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.