Main Deflector Board =/ 21" dying on me

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by redeye be, Apr 18, 2005.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

sniff
    My 21" CRT Apple Studio Display is dying on my. It can only work at a res of 800x600, with the screen width about 50% of what it should be. Higher resolutions keep the smaller (less width) screen and add moving horizontal lines to the picture.

I remeber reading about this when i first got this monitor and was like: hey, i'm getting this cheap, no time to think about what would happen.

A solution would probably be to replace the Main Deflector Board, but that will cost me $ 1,400 (one thousand and four hundred US dollars :eek: ).
    The Apple discussion shows this problem is known amongst 21" ASD owners, a cheap solution is known by few.

One guy wrote about getting it fixed for $ 150. The people there knew what they were doing and replaced only the borken components on the damned main deflector board.

Anybody here had the same problem and had it fixed (what price?)
    Does anybody know which pieces on the MDB should be replaced?
    Maybe someone could even come up with a company that will repair it for me at low cost. (Brussels :rolleyes:, Belgium/Netherlands/France/Germany/...)

2. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Sorry for your problem, I have no idea how to fix it, just wanted to say that I misread the thread title as "Main Deflector Shields dying on me" :eek:

3. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I think my info will be mostly unhelpfull, but was the $1,400 the price of repair then, or did you get that quote now? You may want to find out if that price has changed (up or down). If the price is unchanged, or changed little, I suggest just getting a new monitor, a new apple 20" is $1000 and other brands go down from there.

If you can find the posting mentioning the $150 fix, see if you can contact that individual. They would have the best knowlegde.

My 2 cents.

4. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

having him picked up right now, lame joke, posting question...

Was going to edit my post, might as well make a new post now

Just made a phonecall to the local Apple Repair Center (i worked there as a student 8-10 years ago, they remembered me :)). They don't repair them any more :( . They offered me two options:
    1 - apple replacement: € 700 - 800 (i get a brand new one in this case, tempting)
    2 - second hand from them: € 450 (rental, hasn't been rented out much, so it didn't play much according to the guy on the telephone).

A lot of money, but i really like the monitor. Choices AAAARG

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There are some sites, that may still be up, that list the various repairs for this generation monitor -- since they had a weakness in their design that basically guaranteed a dead monitor at some point.

Of course you can always call Apple to see if they have their extended repair running, but they likely won't repair them anymore -- just replace them with a similar monitor, the Mitsu offered on the AppleStore.

Which is really the modern version of the 21", far less expensive than a repair -- but looks like a regular monitor.

6. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

I am going to dig in to this.

bah, i want my tripod monster!

7. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

While i'm deciding what to do i might as well post the pictures i took just now. I hope i'll be adding them to iPhoto with a 'bad memory' tag soon.

here's how i'm forced to work now (on this cool screen, :( ) - just browsing some random site here.
    [​IMG]
    resolution 1024x768 or above give me these kind of screens:
    [​IMG]

Thx for the reply's so far though, all are appreciated.

8. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

Well,
    I'm typing this post on another 21" ASD. I borrowed it from the Apple Repair Center - test before buying. It's not going to last long apparently, it's starting to act up now after burning for about a week. It is a pretty sight though, 2 21" ASD's on my now very cramped desk. I'd post some pictures but my Palm is acting up after having preformed a hard reset :(.

So i've been looking at buying a new monitor, goodbye ASD, you were a great monitor :(.
    I will just have to pull my spirits up to buying a nice LCD and regain some of that valued desk space.
    <vent>Just so damn lame that those Dell promotions don't work on the .be store. Damn you Dell, damn you that you will probably still run away with a (to big!) piece of my pay!</vent>

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you can find a competent television repair shop in your area, ask them if they make component level repairs. If they do, you may wish to have them estimate your monitor's repair. I have done this several times and resurrected monitors for between $50 and $200

10. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

Made some calls today,
    First one to the apple repair center telling them i won't buy their monitor as it is going to die soon (imo).
    They told me i could keep it, or bring it in, or throw it away. I'll use it as long as it works just 'till i get a replacement (couldn't resist ordering a dull :eek: :) )

Second I called a few tv repair shops. The last one i called (why continue if you found what you're looking for) sounded very sure in being able to fix my ASD for cheap, i'll drop of my monitor later (thx for reminding me CanadaRAM, should've done this in the first place).
    If they are indeed able to fix it, it will be hard not to get the ASD i got for free just today repaired. 2 21" ASDs and a dull :eek:
    My brain is overheating,
    Then again, let's see what the tv repair guy has to say. I'll keep you guys posted.

11. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

I'm picking up my 21" from the repair shop tomorrow morning.
    The repair will cost me € 180, with 3 months guarantee. I hope they were able to fix it good.
    In the mean time I have rearranged my desk somewhat to welcome my (now second :D) 21"er and my 2005FPW which arrived today.
    I have a hole in my hand :eek:.
    And it won't get any better, now i'm craving for a mac with at least 2 monitor outs (my mini and G3 both just have one). Damn cost of technology, and damn me for wanting it.

Sidenote: The 21" i got for free has been behaving really well since i called the shop i wouldn't buy it. No more flickering/decolouration. Jeej!

12. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

jeej!

just returned with my 'as new' 21" graphite Apple Studio Display.
    It took them over an hour to get the thing open and they did scratch the case a bit during this step. I told them apple is known for their hard to open hardware. Next time i'll try to find a service guide and hand it over when i bring another 21" in.
    I took my mini with me to the shop just to be sure everything works well, and it did. Couldn't be happier.

It cost me € 178,40
    They replaced a few capacitators (if i understood them correctly). That's all the info they would/could give a non electrotechnician i guess.

So happy :D
    I'll set it up later this afternoon (and post some picks in the Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present!-thread).
    Right now it's time to prepare for wushu training.

:D !