Main page at widescreen resolutions

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by yg17, Jul 8, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Whenever I stretch my browser window to the full width, 1680 pixels I believe, there's a white gap on the main page. I'm using Camino, here's a screenshot:

mainpage.jpg

Just thought I'd report it.

2. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

I can vouch for that. I am running at 1680x1050. I only see it when Safari is taking up 90% or more of the width of my screen. (good thing I don't normally keep safari that large) :D

UPDATE: Same thing happens in firefox...FYI

3. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

This image appears to be the source of the problem. It's used in the CSS for the story titlebars (see below), so when the window is so wide that a story is wider than the image, a white gap appears.

Code:
    .titlebar_top {
    	text-align:right;
    	background: #fff url("http://images.macrumors.com/css/im/titlebar_topleft red.gif") no-repeat top left;
    }

5. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I'm running Safari at 1400x900 fullscreen and I don't see it, just to confuse things...

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, and no problem. :eek: :)

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yup, that's exactly it. The image is 1200 pixels wide, so once the middle column expands past 1200px (+ the padding/borders, top right corner image) there'll be a gap. It looks like the background color could be changed to match the image (#650206) which would get rid of the gap.

8. portent macrumors 6502a

Not to excuse poor page design, but why would you have your web browser that wide?

Most pages look best with the browser around 1024px wide. As a bonus, those of you with large displays will have lots of room left for other things.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Never ask a computer user why they do things... the answer is always "because I can".

:)

I usually run my browser at 1050x1680... yeah I'm backwards. Or sideways I guess.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I like mine nice and wide when on the MacRumors forums because the text wrapping allows me to reduce the amount of vertical scrolling I have to do. Of course, at some point the user info and avatars become the limiting factor to the height of the posts, so there are diminishing returns to that strategy.

11. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Because I can :p

It's convienent for reading forums. When I'm designing pages, I reduce my window to about 1024 pixels wide

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

When I browse I usually have it fullscreen (1400x900). I guess this is because I am a recent PC user and I always get distracted from what I'm reading if I can see my desktop. If I'm chatting Expose works just fine. If I'm photoshopping then I'll run Safari a lot smaller.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

14. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Almost fouryears on, and MacRumors still doesn't support widescreen? Really?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Is your complaint that the black line doesn't go all the way? I don't know if I would consider that a lack of widescreen support.

16. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

It's not so much a complaint, rather an observation that this thread was posted 4 years ago and something which appears to be rather simple to fix hasn't been done. It just makes the site look a bit shoddy, in a wholly quaint way of course. :p