main, remote, or relay

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iEric, Feb 10, 2007.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

I have a main base station outside in the living room and I have another base station (that's an express) in my room. I have direct ethernet plugs in both of these. So if I want to use these two bases together (that means having only one internet name label thingy), what should the express be? a main remote or relay?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Using multiple base stations in an Ethernet network

"You can set up multiple AirPort Extreme Base Stations to create a single wireless network (a roaming network).

Connect all the base stations to the same subnet on your Ethernet network and give the same network name and password to each base station.
    To assign IP addresses using DHCP, set up one base station as the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server by opening that base station's configuration in AirPort Admin Utility, then selecting the "Distribute IP addresses" checkbox in the Network pane. Make sure the base station is set to act as the DHCP server and assigns a range of real IP addresses. Private IP addresses used by Network Address Translation (NAT) cannot be used for roaming.

Turn off Internet sharing on all other base stations by deselecting the "Distribute IP addresses" checkbox for those base stations."

(Taken from an Apple Help Article)

I'm pretty sure this is what you want, assuming both base stations have a internet connection through the ethernet ports you mentioned.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Extending the range of your AirPort network using a Wireless Distribution System

Or... If you want to share the connection wirelessly (it all depends on your current network), you can use WDS, and you would make the AirPort Express a remote base station.

Essentially, a main base station is connected to the Internet and shares its connection with remote and relay base stations, A remote base station shares the main base station’s Internet connection, and a relay base station shares the main base station’s Internet connection and transfers the connection to other remote or relay base stations.

I believe this would result in a slower network than my first suggestion however.