Mainly a Casual Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 7ilLeven, Sep 5, 2004.

1. 7ilLeven macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2004
    Hey i am a windows switcher and getting ready for the fall 2004 quarter.I need a notebook for studies,word processing, music (downloading),web design and most important Macromedia flash. My budget is 1,399. But there is that amazing student discount that will bump some cash off. Basically im asking, what notebook and upgrades are the best for my budget?
  2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The 14" iBook with the 1GHz G4 processor might serve your needs. $1,299 before student discount. Spend the rest on extra RAM and any peripherals you want.

You can see the details at
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I would just like to say that switching to a Mac was one of the best decisions I have made in college. I love it so much. as for your needs, check out the 12'' iBooks, and PowerBoooks at a local store.

and btw, I beleive that the 14'' iBook and 12'' iBook have same screen resolution, so it not really more screen realestate. Just something to keep in mind.
  4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    With a 1,400 budget for an iBook, I'd get this and then go to and spend ~100$ to upgrade the RAM to 768.

You could also get a refurbished or new 12" PowerBook. The only difference between a refurbished PB and one with a edu discount is the refurbish is $1,349, where as the edu one is $1,399. Keep in mind, you won't have extra money to spend on RAM if 1,400 is the very limit of what your willing to spend.
  5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Flash requires a good amount of memory. So i would say go with the 14" iBook and then upgrade the ram. Personally i would go for a PowerBook but because of the budget the iBook should be fine.